Cozumel--thickness of wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally use a dry suit because the water is a nippy 83 degrees in late June.....

Just joking, I've always used a shorty and have been plenty warm. If you are planning on diving the ceynotes on the mainland, that's a different story. 71 - 74 degrees on average.

Have a good trip.

I have never used one during any of my day dives, but I only have been down in the summer months. For the night dives, 3mm worked just fine.

Have fun!!

I always dive a microprene in Coz and my wife dives a 1m+Oneil Microflece

wonderwoman9000:
Hi everyone!

I'm going to be going to Cozumel in two weeks (mid to end of June) for a dive. What thickeness of wet suit would you recommend? An instructor told me to consider 5 mm since he'd wear a 3 mm, and he's a man. He said women get colder, so he thinks 5 mm is good. Others have told me you don't even need one except to avoid abrasions. I'm a slender to average size woman if that helps. Thanks!!!

Susan

I have been to cozumel several times, I used just a skin most times and the last time I used a .5 mil skin. In all cases I never got cold.

maybe a 3mil but I can't imagine using a 5mil.
but then I dive CA in a 7mil suit.

michaelc:
I have been to cozumel several times, I used just a skin most times and the last time I used a .5 mil skin. In all cases I never got cold.

maybe a 3mil but I can't imagine using a 5mil.
but then I dive CA in a 7mil suit.

If you don't have any other suits, get a 3mm full. This works through out the Carribean, you shouldn't get too cold or overheated. My wife and most women tend to be colder than men, I use a 3mm full and while it may add a couple more pounds of weight you can't go wrong for a general purpose suit in the high 70', low 80's. Easy to add a skin or other garmet if you still get cold.

If you do multiple dives per day, you will feel it, get the 3mm.

A 3-2mm full suit will probably work (I wore a 3-2mm and got cold by the end of a diving week) but a 5mm will always work and won't be too warm. I used a 5mm for one day in water that was 78F and it was perfect for 2 one hour dives. Also, in a 5mm you don't get cold on the SI if the boat is moving to a new location. The wind goes through my 3-2 and tends to chill me once the boat starts moving. If you're really not sure I would spend the extra 50 bucks and get a 5-4mm. Bare makes a great 5-4 velocity. My Wife and brother both have a 5-4 and loved it in Coz.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=25010

Rondo:
I just got back a couple of weeks ago,I wore my .5 mm neoprene full skin the whole time and was toasty,I also travel with a 3 mm vest and a 3 mm beanie that never left the room.

Whatever you decide I'd recommend full coverage,some folks that wore 3 mm shortys got hit by the thimble jellies which were in full force when I was there,they may have disapated by now.

The other advantage to a skin beyond the bouyancy issues is a .5-1mm rarely needs to be stripped off between dives,I'm often very comfortable with it on while going to the next site,those with 3mm suits can't wait to get them off,with a 5 mm you may die from heat and dehydration before you get to the zipper.

My computer shows 82-84 deg. on all dives most were 83.

If you're planning on buying a new suit the 3/2 is a good suggestion it will give you the most adaptability,that and a full 3mm.Ofcourse this all depends on you. 5mm= bad idea
Hey Rondo! I just want to show you that we do read and respond to your posts!!!
My computer also showed 83 on almost every dive.
How's the front range?
I'm heading back to Coz with my 3mm full suit! :anakinpod

I wear a 3 mil in Coz in the summer spring winter and fall. I have been hot on the boat a few times but you will find that you are NEVER hot in the water. Roll down the top to your waste, fill with water if you get hot on the boat. Warmer is always better than colder especially at the end of a week of diving.

3mm full suit
hood for back up
polartec jacket or pullover for surface intervals

WOW! What is with you guys? I was in Coz in October and dove in swim trunks except for the first dive of the trip, the wreck we penetrated, the devil's throat and the 2 night dives.

So, I did bricks, Dalilah, garden, cedral wall, cedral pass, etc.. in swim trunks. In October. 79 degree water. 12 dives in 5 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom