Cozumel : Topside Activity Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashmatrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I've got a few quick questions for the experienced Cozumel travelers. My wife and I will be there in November diving, and would also like to take some time to visit some of the nearby sights.
I have seen a few day trips to Tulum, Chichenitza, and some other ruins and the prices are 100$ per person for a tour pre-booked and paid in advance.
Does this sound cheaper than day trips booked locally ?

What are the logistics involved with taking day trips to the ruins ? I.E. How long does it take to reach them, are there limited times for ferries, etc ? We assume we will have to dedicate an entire day to a trip to the ruins, as opposed to diving two AM dives, then catching a lunchtime ferry and seeing a ruin and returning in time for the last ferry in.

Any advice on what to expect is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dash

You'll have to take a ferry over for most of the tours. After that Tulum is a tour bus ride away.

Chichenitza (sp?) is a longer way away. It'd be a really long day to do via ferrry and long bus ride. They offer plane flight tours to that, but of course they cost more. It's further inland.

You can do Tulum, plus some other stuff along the coast, easily in a day. You could rent a car in Playa del Carmen, then you aren't stuck with the tour bus schedule or a combination package that includes snorkeling at Ixcaret or Xel-Ha (real tourist traps). Driving there is not bad, at least during daylight hours. Stop in at Akumal and poke around or go snorkeling there. Playa del Carmen is fun, too.

Trying to get it in after morning dives might work, but I think it would be a rush. Chichen Itza is a real haul from Coz, which is why I've never been there. You have to leave REAL early in the morning (like 0-dark-30) to get there and back.

If you can handle an ATV, I recommend the ATV jungle tour in Cozumel. I think I had as much, if not more fun doing that than the diving itself.

You mean there is more to do then dive? :11: We were there for 6 days and all we did was dive, dive, eat and dive some more. Only if I knew :wink: I think someone should tell Jake, he has been there for weeks and he has just been diving.

torrey:
If you can handle an ATV, I recommend the ATV jungle tour in Cozumel. I think I had as much, if not more fun doing that than the diving itself.

Have you done the jungle tour since Wilma? I'll bet you need tons of bug spray.....

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
You mean there is more to do then dive? :11: We were there for 6 days and all we did was dive, dive, eat and dive some more. Only if I knew :wink: I think someone should tell Jake, he has been there for weeks and he has just been diving.

One week warrior: "Jake, you have been diving more than all of your DM's combined. Why don't you go to Playa or do a cenotes or a jungle tour.?"

Jake: "Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. Maybe on Tuesday I'll do one of those. My ears need a break anyway."

Tuesday night:

Vicarious North Carolina Diver: "Hey Jake, how was the jungle tour?"

Jake: "You know?, Christie had some folks going out and well, you know, the dock is only a couple of minutes away, and I really wanted to work on my trim so I just went diving......."

Repeat until Jake's 48th day, then call Jake in the frozen tundra of the north during your next trip to Coz and remind him of the temperature in and out of the water.

Hey...I have taken days off (not many but some)!!! The cenotes will finally happen next week.

And who says 48 will be the end (it can always be extended)??

jakes78:
Hey...I have taken days off (not many but some)!!! The cenotes will finally happen next week.

That is too funny, I was just telling Minh the other day. Hey watch Jake extend his trip. He has turned into a coz dive junkie :wink:

Now now Jake time to come back to the real world :D Ok yes I am jealous, as are 99% of the divers that dive in all this California cold water.

I am actually planning a dive trip for the 21st and some how I am just having a hard time getting excited about that 50 degree green Monterey bay water :(

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom