Cozumel Trip December 13-22, 2008 Questions about touring Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to Cozumel and looking to do some other activities besides diving. I am planning to go to tour Chichen Itza on Dec 17 to take a break from diving. Can anyone recommend a tour operator to use?

I would also like to tour the east side of Cozumel after diving in the morning. Should I rent a car or hire a taxi for Ž½ a day? About how much should I expect to pay for the taxi and how much should I tip?

Last edited:
I know the buses from playa run to all the main land attractions that may be an option for you.
As far as the island tour a taxi will run about 45 or 50 for three hours they will stop where ever you ask them to but time is limited.
For my time and money I would rent the car. You can stop at all the beaches and beach bars without being under the clock.
Diving is wild here so be on your toes and don't over do it on the beer.
Always look around the scooters are everywhere!!!!!
Enjoy the island stay away from the water front until the ships are gone. Sunday night on the plaza is really nice. See ya here.

Definitely rent a car for a day while in Cozumel for some non-dive touring. It isn't about the cost, it's about the freedom to see what you want on your own schedule. Isis, located on 5th avenue 2 blocks north of the square are honest folks with excellent rates.

I can't suggest any tour operators for Chichen Itza, since I always explore on my own, and unless you're uncomfortable doing it that way, I suggest you arrange a car rental and do the trip yourself. This way you can make the trip your own. (Isis has a Playa branch, or Avis has good rates if you book in advance via the internet).

2 suggestions,
Try to get to Chechen Itza early to avoid midday heat, and so you can give it as much time as you want without feeling rushed. You can do side excursions like visiting Valladoillid on the way back. 2- while in Chitchen Itza, try to hook up with other independent visitors and share the cost of a local guide. You'll learn a lot more that way and have a much better feel for what you see.

Driving in this part of Mexico is pretty safe and easy if you avoid smaller unknown roads at night, when you can't see the topes until it's too late. One thing you need to know it that Pemex only takes cash so make sure you exchange some dough for your travels.

Have a great trip, DF

chichen itsa is a pretty long trip from czm. talum while not as big is much closer and playa del camen is a fun place.
be sure to go into the square on czm on sun eve. bands, dancing, families, food carts, young people checking each other out, seniors. sunday is also the best day to tour the island- no gringos del barco.

Tulum is a small ruin, and much closer. It's unique because it is on the water. We have also visited the lighthouse on Cozumel -- a beautiful view from the top.
Donna

Thanks for the information.
I cannot wait, in 3 days I will be in Cozumel.

I second the Tulum suggestion. It also has a fantastic little beach that professional photographers just love for location shooting. We always wear swim suits and bring towels to enjoy that beach. Many visitors take a dip to cool off.

Yeah, rent a car for touring the east side, but be very careful about drinking and driving. Cozumel is perhaps the friendliest place I've ever visited in Mexico but they do take that very seriously if you are stopped. Final tip, be sure to take out the insurance when you rent a car, even if your own car insurance covers rental cars. If you don't and have an accident you will have to fully pay for repairs before you are allowed to leave the island. Actually, I do that whenever I rent a car outside of the U.S. It's worth the extra cost. While I always feel at home in Cozumel, I never forget that I am a visitor and not a citizen and act accordingly.

Just returned from Coz. Great time. We styed in a house on the northern end of island and dove to the marina (calete?) each morning. Driving wasn't a problem at all just remember a few rules. Slow way down for the topes (speed bumps), drive in the left lane most of the time as when you ride in the right you are expected to turn right. Watch for the one way street they are everywhere and there are only a few 2 way streets (main street by water, road to airport etc) We did drive to the other side of the island.. there wasn't alot over there but we did get food and drinks at Coconuts and got to see some surfers trying to stay on (pretty rough over there) alot hadn't been developed yet. Make sure you rent on line prior to arrival as it is cheaper we rented from trifty thru expedia got a jeep with all insurance for one week for 325.00. If you get a taxi make sure you tell them you are not with the Cruise ships.. they charge more for cruisers than people staying on the island. Bring LOTS of small bills (friend on ours used 2.00 bills to tip... really good idea and the american banks have plenty just ask for them) 100 dollar bills are pretty much useless. We found out that you can get change at the gas station (3 on the island) one is on the way to the southern marina. Any other info just ask!! P.s. Sharky's blog at logoztogo.com gave us great info on dining and what to do..awsome! My brother in law did the talum thing for 100 + per person he said it was ok but would have rather been diving (he left at 7 am got back at 9 pm, it is an all day thing with alot of walking & driving) or you can do the sandos time share (all day tour from hell) and get the trip for 35 per person but get ready you will be in playa for the timeshare spill for at least 3-4 hours... Have fun we had a ball in cozumel... playa not so good ...

I am in Coz right now. There is no diving today on account of very high winds and rough seas. The harbor is closed to all boats smaller than 50 feet. Other than that, the beer is cheap and the food is good. I like Mozaics at the Southeast corner of the square.

I am in Coz right now. There is no diving today on account of very high winds and rough seas. The harbor is closed to all boats smaller than 50 feet. Other than that, the beer is cheap and the food is good. I like Mozaics at the Southeast corner of the square.

When the cold front roared through here on Tuesday, I figured Cozumel would have a norte by today. That's the way it usually works. Hope things calm down for you quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom