Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I just returned from another trip to Cozumel. We were planning to fly into Coz and fly out of CUN. Unfortunately we missed our connection to CZM and were rebooked on the CUN flight so that we didn't lose a day. We were booked through Delta Vacations and I have to say that the agent that helped us was awesome. She got us all rebooked, booked ground transport and even comped the ferry rides. The last trip we stayed at the Coral Princess, which was good. This time we thought we'd try the all inclusive El Cozumeleno up the road.

Check in was after 9 pm and all restaurants were closed. This wasn't a good sign. There is no room service so we were unable to get anything to eat. They then put us in a room that was worse than a Motel 6. It had broken fixtures and lamps that would spark and crackle when you turned them on. There were also bare wires sticking out of the wall in the bathroom. We had no options at 10 that night but I informed the staff that we would be changing to another hotel in the morning. That morning a manager assured me that they would be moving us to a better room in 2 days when the hotel had more rooms available. I declined and informed him that we would be leaving. After some back and forth he offered to let us move to a family suite for $75 additional per night. Being in no mood to miss a day of diving we took the offer and moved into what was a gigantic room with about 60 linear feet of balcony. The balcony alone was twice as large as the first room we were in. This room was still dated, like the rest of the resort, but it was large and in good condition.

The hotel was ok. In terms of all inclusive hotels, it is probably the least upscale that we have visited. My wife and I ate on the property 3 times, and went out to dinner in town for the rest of the nights. They don't offer a can or bottle of cerveza, but only plastic cups for the drinks. They do not stock the rooms either. The beach was pretty good for Cozumel though, so if that is important to you it may be an option. While the hotel was ok, we probably would not choose to go back.

We dove with Island Divers Cozumel, and for the most part enjoyed their op. The boats were fast, and we didn't find the cruise to the southern dive sites to be too long. We saw some Eagle Rays, lots of eels, smaller rays, tons of lobster, and on the last day we found a 10 foot nurse shark resting in a coral cave. It was enjoyable diving with good weather and good conditions all week.

I did have one dive that I did not enjoy however. On one of the days we were sent out with a group of 3 other divers, and the dive master. We were planning to do Santa Rosa Wall. Usually when my wife and I go to Cozumel we are the newbys on the boat. For this dive, my wife and I were the experienced divers. I had 24 dives and my wife had 18 or so. The other divers were all either brand new, or hadn't dove in many years. I was surprised that the dive master suggested Santa Rosa, but I dove it as a fairly new diver so I figured he probably had it under control. One of the divers dove the day prior, and hit 700 pounds after about 25 minutes, which was a concern. The dive master said that safety was number one, so when any diver hit 700 we would all surface. This didn't make me too excited as I knew he would be out of air very quickly, especially that deep. When we descended we immediately went to 110 feet. The dive master was at 110 feet or so, and I was generally within 5 feet of him in depth, and about 10 feet behind. My wife was behind me. The other three divers were pretty much all over the place. One was at least 25 feet deeper than me and the dive master, and the other two were moving forward and outward so much that I lost sight of them on several occasions. During this time the dive master seemed oblivious to it all. He was poking into holes in the coral and looking for smaller wildlife and didn't seem to notice that some of the group was missing. At one point I grabbed my wife and figured that if all went to hell I would launch my SMB and we would take care of ourselves. A few minutes later the diver who used air so quickly hit 700 and we began the process of trying to find the other two divers. Having found them we all surfaced. I had 1900 pounds in my tank when I climbed in the boat.

This was my least enjoyable dive of all the dives I have done. I was stressed the whole time trying to make sure that I could see the other divers, and looked for them when they invariably disappeared from view. The other dive masters were superb. I really enjoyed Miguel, Adrian, and Ernesto, but this one dive master who will be nameless was not one that I would choose to dive with again.

My wife and I are looking to go back in April, and are thinking of going with Casa Mexicana for the next trip. Any suggestions for other hotels more to the south, and other dive ops are appreciated.

Are you set on staying in an AI or would you be willing to look at something more in town? My wife and I stayed at Sabor/Secrets our first week in Cozumel, way down south, and we'll never do that again. The resort was pretty meh, food got old fast, our sink drain was literally duct taped in place, you know, the usual. Second trip to Cozumel we stayed the week at Suites Bahia, which is much more on par with the Motel 6, but only cost $44 a night and we got breakfast at Casa Mexicana included. The huge upside, though, was that we were in the middle of town, with great restaurants at our door step (check out MStevens's guide). Going south of town, you'll be closer to the dive sites, but the ride into town if you want to get better food is going to take more time and cost more. If you stay at Casa Mexicana, which from what I could tell was pretty nice, you'll be within walking distance to pretty much anything.

I've been diving in Cozumel only with Tres Pelícanos and Scuba With Alison, both of which I would strongly recommend. Alison is very good with new divers, really keeps people together under water, but will also let you do your thing once you've gained her trust. She personally doesn't like to dive deep, so she tends to be a bit more conservative, sticking to around 60-70 feet max. Both will let you dive your tank and surface on your own or with your buddy (the air sipping buddy can spontaneously "rebuddy" with somebody else underwater if they don't want to go up) and nobody has to waste 1200 psi of air because of one air hog. TP (at least when I dove with them) had us meet them at their shop each morning, which is just around the corner from Casa Mexicana, and they drove us or got a cab for us (and paid for it) to get to and from the marina. They also kept any and all gear we wanted to leave with them, including wetsuits, which they dried each night, so we didn't have to worry about carrying that back and forth. Both TP and Alison have very fast boats and go out early, so you'll be one of the first groups on the reef each morning.

That DM may remain nameless here but you should definitely say something to the shop manager/owner. I think they should comp you a dive trip as that sounds like a miserable experience.

That Santa Rosa Wall dive was downright dangerous. Glad everyone made it back in one piece. Very irresponsible DM. I agree with ReefHound - that DM should be reported to the shop.

I've been on some poorly led dives, I've been on dives where other divers don't have a clue and where the DM is so far ahead and out of touch with what's happening that the dive is an impending disaster from the minute the group splashes.

Here's what I do- if diving with a buddy, I'll stick close and gesture by pointing to the DM or divers of conceern, and/or write on a slate that things could get dicey. If I'm diving solo within the group it's somewhat easier. I realize that there might be an emergency with another diver who does something stupid out of inexperience and I will be prepared to either assist if possible, or keep a far distance so I'm not part of a double fatality. With that in mind I do my own dive, keeping the group roughly in sight while doing my thing and enjoying the dive as I usually do.

If and when the group surfaces I might follow if I'm at my limiting gas or NDL limits, if for some reason I hit those limits before they decide to ascend, I'll simply call my own dive. I've always got an SMB and a reel as well as a pony bottle so I'm self reliant at all times.

I don't get that much opportunity to dive so when I do, I'm going to enjoy it. I won't spend the entire dive worrying about other people's stupidity, ignorance and incompetence.

We do go to non-inclusive hotels as well. The Coral Princess is not all-inclusive, and we enjoyed our stay there. We like to go into town and eat at La Cocay, La Casa Mission, Guidos, El Foco, and our new favorite, Kondesa. The music and beer at Woodys is always worth a visit so staying right in the downtown area would certainly not be a bad thing.

I've been on some poorly led dives, I've been on dives where other divers don't have a clue and where the DM is so far ahead and out of touch with what's happening that the dive is an impending disaster from the minute the group splashes.

Here's what I do- if diving with a buddy, I'll stick close and gesture by pointing to the DM or divers of conceern, and/or write on a slate that things could get dicey. If I'm diving solo within the group it's somewhat easier. I realize that there might be an emergency with another diver who does something stupid out of inexperience and I will be prepared to either assist if possible, or keep a far distance so I'm not part of a double fatality. With that in mind I do my own dive, keeping the group roughly in sight while doing my thing and enjoying the dive as I usually do.

If and when the group surfaces I might follow if I'm at my limiting gas or NDL limits, if for some reason I hit those limits before they decide to ascend, I'll simply call my own dive. I've always got an SMB and a reel as well as a pony bottle so I'm self reliant at all times.

I don't get that much opportunity to dive so when I do, I'm going to enjoy it. I won't spend the entire dive worrying about other people's stupidity, ignorance and incompetence.

I agree with @bladder on most everything except I have this thing about keeping track of everyone in the group. I know I am not responsible for everyone else's safety, but I do watch for "bouncers" (can't control their depth) and "grabbers" (touch and grab the reef), because generally they are the ones who will be low on air first. I also watch for people who may go deeper than the briefed depth because, IMO, they will run out of air first and may need some of mine. I spent too many years watching "novice" divers. It is ingrained in me.

You were very astute to be aware of what was happening with the other divers, as well as the Dive Guide (I use the term Dive Guide because he obviously wasn't mastering the dive experience for the group), and have a plan. I agree with @ReefHound and @Dogbowl that the dive op manager/owner should be made aware of your experience. They probably won't comp you anything, but you can consider the cost as the price of some valuable training. Every diver is responsible for himself. Every diver (and buddy) should have a plan in case the dive appears to be going downhill. I am very glad that you and your wife surfaced safely.

Thank you for the trip report.

Cheers -

It's not about expecting a whistleblower reward. It's about a couple working hard all year, going on vacation, paying ~$200usd for a 2-tank dive trip, and having a miserable experience that left them stressed out not relaxed.

I agree with both of you. I don't think anything should be expected. I also think that some kind of compensation for a bad trip would take the sting out of spending good money for a bad experience. But most importantly, I think that the dive shop won't do anything of a compensatory nature.

Cheers -

Back
Top Bottom