Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with both of you. I don't think anything should be expected. I also think that some kind of compensation for a bad trip would take the sting out of spending good money for a bad experience. But most importantly, I think that the dive shop won't do anything of a compensatory nature.

Cheers -

Is that your assessment of the customer service level of this particular dive shop, the dive shop as an industry, or the destination? If it was me, I wouldn't demand or expect compensation but I wouldn't be using this dive op again, either. If they believe it was a rare exception and want me to give them another chance, it will be on their dime not mine. They can take the short term gain and lose a customer, or take the short term loss in order to retain a customer. Their choice.

Sounds like a craptastic dive. You handled the situation amazingly well. In your mind you must have been beyond stressed; so many potential disasters i.e. narcosis, out of air, separation from dive group, DCS and so many more. While I would never outright ask for compensation, I would outline everything to the owner of this dive op. If he is an ethical and honest business person, he should offer you some free dives (with the other DM's of course!) and show an earnest effort in correcting this debacle. It will be far less expensive for them to comp you a dive than to have unhappy customers.

You think a dive shop that would put such a poor DM in the water cares about their reputation? They're low cost, probably run a 6 pack boat and barely speak English. There's plenty of fault on the Dive Operator but the diver who had this experience could have had a better time of it with better preparation and a different attitude. Sure it would be great if all DMs were patient, watchful, understanding, and kept the dive at the level of the participants. But it doesn't always happen that way.

If you find yourself on a dive in a third world country being led by a careless and incompetent DM, and surrounded by divers who don't have a clue, then just do your own thing. Remember when you get that C card you are accepting responsibility for yourself. Go dive. If you can save a life at the same time, then you've got a story to tell the grandchildren one day.

Is that your assessment of the customer service level of this particular dive shop, the dive shop as an industry, or the destination? If it was me, I wouldn't demand or expect compensation but I wouldn't be using this dive op again, either. If they believe it was a rare exception and want me to give them another chance, it will be on their dime not mine. They can take the short term gain and lose a customer, or take the short term loss in order to retain a customer. Their choice.
This would be an assessment of the dive industry at this location. I may be wrong (I hope I am), but I was trying to set what I think are realistic expectations.
Happy diving -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom