Cozumel vs. Bonaire vs ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vic McAlister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello:

My wife and I are looking for suggestions. We are planning a week long trip in late Aug/Earlier Sept.

We have been to Coz and know what the reefs are like. We are on a budget so a liveaboard is out, this year, $3,000ish.

How do the reefs in Bonaire compare to Coz?

Airfare seems to be the main restraint this year, so we are looking for the best bang for the buck. We would be flying out of D/FW.

My wife nixt'd Belize and Roaton, sorry RoatanMan.. dont ask me why.

We understand the cost difference between rentals and resorts....

I would like to do a minimum of 3 dives per day (boat), if not Bonaire. Yet again, having to research the operators costs/packages and weight that into the overall budget.

Nightlife, is ok, but we looking for diving and relaxing....

Suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Victor

Welcome to the board Vic.
Can't help with Coz but I have a pretty good handle on Bonaire. Air Jamacia flies out of Huston so you might can get some reasonable air from there. The cost in Bonaire varies widely, like any where else. The least expensive place I know of goes for $250pp for a week- a small motel type room (AC,TV, mini frig) and unlimited air for shore diving. It's clean and safe but not on the water or fancy. The owner (and dive shop operator) is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. Food on island is reasonable, about like here in Raleigh NC. You can eat fairly cheap or run up a huge bill with steak and lobster washed down with lots of beer. On our last trip, we ate a large breakfast $7 to $9, PBJ for lunch and supper ran in the $10-15 range. You can do Bonaire for $750pp plus air (room/food/diving/rental car) fairly easily if you don't have to have fancy accomidations or be on the water. The Bonaire board is a great place to have most any question on Bonaire answered. www.bonairetalk.com

HI Victor:
Since your first question was how do the two reefs compare to each other I will attempt to answer that.
I have been to both islands more then once.

Bonaire is know for purple tube sponges, brain coral, flower coral, goatfish, jacks, groupers, lavender shrimp, and trunkfish. You will also find garden eels, queen conchs, tilefish, and like Coz, French angels.

The coral is really spectacular. I have seen star, elkhorn, fire, and staghorn corals. There is only one good wreck there called the Hilma Hooker. She is a 250 ft freighter, and about 80 feet deep.

The two islands are 100% different from each other. They are two different reef systems and I believe most divers would enjoy experiencing both places.

If you are looking for bang for the buck out of D/FW I would think that there would be no choice but to return to Cozumel.

American flys to direct to San Juan from DFW and to Bonaire from SJU, so you could be on Bonaire in 2 flights.

Cozumel is even easier as the charters (Funjet, USA Tours) run direct flights a few times a week from DFW to Cozumel for dirt cheap.

I love both locations, Bonaire for the laid back Dutch environment, ease and freedom of diving and I love Cozumel for the great drift diving and party atmosphere.

I point that I didn't mention earlier is that if you are looking at the Aug Sept timeframe then hurricanes could be a consideration. Given that, Bonaire is the only location of those two that you can pretty much count no hurricane.

I have been to Cozumel alot and also to Bonaire. If they are both about the same price Bonaire is my choice, better diving, less tourists, no cruise ships. Air jamaica has a quick stop in Montego Bay and then on to Bonaire. I'm in the water in the afternoon of the same day. If Bonaire, check into Buddy Dive Resort-JMO

Cozumel will cost you about 55-60 / 2 tank boat dive. Accommodation is about 30usd for basic at Hotel Pepita or 49usd at Hotel Bahia which is nice and has breakfast included, its also down by the boat launch. I've never been to Bonaire but Cozumel is almost all drift diving so its hardly any work, saw lots of great stuff there about 3 weeks ago, octopus, swordfish, nursesharks, nudibranchs. I'm heading to Bonaire next though for the shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom