Cozumel Vs. Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robnboard

New
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a road block. At the beginning of this summer I am going to go on a 10 day dive trip, I just cant decide where. Ive narrowed it down to either cozumel, (which i have been 3 times, and loved it and never wanted to come home), or Bonaire. My neighbors(family diving friends) reccomend Bonaire over cozumel(we've been to coz with them) and they say its mostly shore diving. Does anyone have any input or info on differences or kudos between the two?
thanks,
ROB

Bonaire: Better small stuff, no (well, infrequent) pelagics, great shore diving, fewer rules (although they take the don't touch rule very seriously), infrequent currents, warmer water, less of a topside party but better food and you can drink the water.

Cozumel: Careening drift dives, occasional pelagics and more of the bigger stuff, topside is 24/7 Spring Break, can't drink the water.

I'd rather Bonaire, but that's just me.

Having never been to Cozumel I can't comment about the diving there, but we did just get back from Bonaire a few weeks ago. The diving was excellent with no time tables, and dive where you want (within the very few rules). Never had a bad meal and the water is better than many of the resort areas here in the states. Based on how our trip went we have decided to probably go back there instead of Cozumel next winter (unless we think or hear of something better). There are several other places we would like to visit but each in it's time.

Never been to Coz but I am headed back to Bonaire in 2 weeks and then again in July if that tells you anything. Great diving, good food, nice people, the water is safe to drink and not a single blasted vendor on the entire island. If your objective is to dive, Bonaire is hard to beat. 5 or 6 dives a day are possible. Most dive packages include unlimited air for shore diving. From, what I understand there are a lot of big fish, sharks and rays on Bonaire, it's just that they stay on the windward (and less dove) side of the island. There are boats that take trips to that side of the island. try this site www.bonairetalk.com

robnboard:
I'm in a bit of a road block. At the beginning of this summer I am going to go on a 10 day dive trip, I just cant decide where. Ive narrowed it down to either cozumel, (which i have been 3 times, and loved it and never wanted to come home), or Bonaire. My neighbors(family diving friends) reccomend Bonaire over cozumel(we've been to coz with them) and they say its mostly shore diving. Does anyone have any input or info on differences or kudos between the two?
thanks,
ROB

Hi Rob!
Welcome to scuba board. I think you should be able to find answers to all your dive questions here. I always can!

I have been to both Coz and Bonaire more then once and am going back to both of them again this year!
They are 100% different from each other above and below.
They are two different reef systems so you really need to experience both.
To put is simply Bonaire is famous for the marcos or tiny underwater stuff. It is also famous for the unlimited shore diving you can do on any of it's 80 different dive spots. What is doesn't have as much of is night life (there is some let us know if you want that info too) and wrecks and caves.
Since you have been to Coz, you don't need me to go into what it has to offer.
To conclude, I would say all divers would enjoy both places.
Have fun, and let us know when you decide.

I have only been to two dive destinations so far: the first was Bonaire, and the second was Cozumel. I loved cozumel and can't wait to go back; I have no intentions on ever going back to Bonaire. In my opinion, the diving is way more interesting and varied in cozumel and the food is just out of this world. I thought the food in Bonaire ranged from mediocre to bad, and the diving (after about four dives) became somewhat boring and monotonous. If I had to choose there would be no contest. However, I do feel Bonaire is a good location for a beginner diver, as I was, as there is little or no currents to contend with. It is a good place to develop diving skills. I know most people love Bonaire so maybe you should give it a shot. I do have a feeling you will be saying to yourself "I could be in Cozumel now".

nikyyo:
I have only been to two dive destinations so far: the first was Bonaire, and the second was Cozumel. I loved cozumel and can't wait to go back; I have no intentions on ever going back to Bonaire. In my opinion, the diving is way more interesting and varied in cozumel and the food is just out of this world. I thought the food in Bonaire ranged from mediocre to bad, and the diving (after about four dives) became somewhat boring and monotonous. If I had to choose there would be no contest. However, I do feel Bonaire is a good location for a beginner diver, as I was, as there is little or no currents to contend with. It is a good place to develop diving skills. I know most people love Bonaire so maybe you should give it a shot. I do have a feeling you will be saying to yourself "I could be in Cozumel now".

That is why I have no great desire to visit Bonaire. I have been to Cozumel five times and can't wait to go back (30 days, but who's counting). I can see little stuff just about anywhere and frankly unlimited shore diving doesn't really appeal to me since after two dives I'm ready to do something besides dive on my vacation. To each his own.

robnboard:
thanks,
ROB

I have been to both place several times. There is really no comparison between the two. If you have never been to Bonaire go and see something different. Lots of shore diving and reefs are healthy. It is an arid island the wind blows all the time, no bugs, the landscape looks like Arizona. I love Coz and would go in a heartbeat plus it is more affordable, but Bonaire is nice as well and you have more opportunities to shore dive. Have fun.

I've been to both. I love to dive so and there are lots of shore dives on Bonaire. The other interesting thing about Bonaire (no one talks about this) is the large wild donkey population. Quite interesting. Lots of lizards, too. Lots of cactus.

Cozemel is pretty picky about access to shore diving. So most of your dives will need to be on a boat unless you stay at a hotel that has shore diving (we didn't). Also, as a photographer, the currents can hamper that activity.

Again, not a lot of night life in Bonaire - LOTS of night life in Coz. Coz is less expensive. Bonaire is a photographer's DREAM. Oh, by the way, Bonaire has all of the shore dives MARKED for you - you don't have to guess. And access is open for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom