Cozumel... When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't say I've seen corals like in your tank in Coz but it may be that your lighting is enhancing the colours over what we see in deep water. Are those corals native to the Caribbean or the Pacific etc?

Good question on the coral. I look at a lot of it. But it is more, wow that is cool coral, rather than hey thats an elk stag horn brain coral of the genus ....
:)

I do know I kinda liked something different in Maracaibo shlallows where there was a lot of, I think, soft coral, waving in the current. Different and cool.

As for about EVERY other site, there seem to be lots of coral thingies that look different. Except Las Palmas maybe? Went there on time looking for toad fish. Lot of really small coral heads spread around as I remember. Lots of toadfish.

I can't say I've seen corals like in your tank in Coz but it may be that your lighting is enhancing the colours over what we see in deep water. Are those corals native to the Caribbean or the Pacific etc?

alot of my corals are native to the Caribbean but not necessarily Coz. although I have coral from all over the globe. I have seen some of what I have at turks and caicos. The lighting simulates the perfect conditions in nature. that is the sweetspot depth of somewhere around 60 ft where you get a mix of daylight (white light) and actinic (blue light). where corals floresse. however, this light is simulated at the light source and not through a water column of 60 feet obviously. nothing that you cant duplicate in nature with the right lighting correction vs. depth the coral is shot at. of course underwater photography at depth introduces challenges that i don't have to contend with inside of a fairly shallow tank. much more controlled to get the perfect shot.

This album shows most of the corals I see in Cozumel. Clicking on each photo enlarges it somewhat for a better inspection of the different coral etc in the photo. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjNHaw6R

nice pictures... I def. see some stags mixed in there. however coz. seems to have some of the nicest soft corals... ie: gorgonians and sea fans I have seen as well as some colorful sponges in orange, violet, purple, and yellow.

If you liked that then this should be worth a look too. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjNH31FA
Some of it was taken at Las Palmas which has very different corals & fans than any other site I can think of. The day we did it we entered thinking we'd be drifting north but the current was going south & we ended up at roughly 90 feet by the end of the dive with a deco stop needed by all.

Back
Top Bottom