Cozumel... When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a dive trip in first week of march 2018. I dive mostly for the reef life> corals and fish, turtles ect and don't like deep dives beyond 95 feet because there is less of what I want to see.

1. Is that a good time to dive Cozumel?
2. what are the best reef/dive sites not to be missed in Cozumel?
3. whats the best dive OP in Cozumel for the above

I plan to look at hotels within close proximity to these dive sites and book with the best dive OP so personal experiences will go a long way in helping me decide.

Did you try the "search" function?

Best time to go: I have found days that end with a "y" always have the best diving. Dive sites: I prefer the ones under the water but that's just me, some of the sites above water are spectacular. Who to dive with? Blue xtc...hand down

Last edited:
I've been to Cozumel a couple of times in early January, and the last 4 visits in mid to late March. In January we lost dive days on both trips due to wind. Never lost a day to wind in March. Less chance of a Norte in mid to late March - water is warm, weather is nice, and cerveza is cold !! :cheers: Pretty much any site can give you what you are looking for. I find Columbia and Palancar the best for a variety of life, but each site has something special. Last March there were spotted eagle rays everywhere. :thumb:

Everyone on here has their own favorite dive op, so you will get a variety of opinions. In no particular order, Blue XT Sea, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, Scuba Club, Blue Angel, and Dive with Martin seem to be the favorites. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Enjoy your trip to Cozumel - it only took me one trip to become a "Cozaholic". :wink:

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Last edited:
1. Is that a good time to dive Cozumel?
2. what are the best reef/dive sites not to be missed in Cozumel?
3. whats the best dive OP in Cozumel for the above.

To answer your questions:

1. There are no BAD times to dive Cozumel. Early March will have some of the coolest water temps there, but that means 78-80 degrees F, hardly what I'd call chilly. Maybe a 3 mil wetsuit.
2. Based on your criteria, pretty much all of the sites in the Marine Park can fit your desires. I'd avoid the Northern Reefs, Barracuda and San Juan - the current can be ripping up there, and those reefs are mostly enjoyed by divers looking for the underwater equivalent of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. And Devil's Throat and Punta Sur are probably not really your cup of tea. But Columbia Shallows, Columbia Deep, all of Palacar - Gardens, Bricks, Caves and Horseshoe, Delilah, Tormentos, Cedral, and others all fit your bill. Just let the DM pick your spots.
3. There is no "Best Dive Op" in Cozumel - it all depends on what your experience level is and what your personal desires are - Big Boat vs. fast six-pack? Big tanks (steel 120s) and long, long bottom times vs. AL 80s and 45-50 minute dives? Long SI on the beach or at a beach club vs, 45 minute SI on the boat? Low cost operator vs. high-end valet service? DMs that babysit you vs. DMs that give you a lot of freedom to do your own thing? There are a ton of very good Dive Ops on Cozumel, and a lot of cheerleaders for each. Aldora, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos, Liquid Blue, Dive with Martin, and at least a dozen others that have been mentioned on other posts. Do your own research..

One last thing. You mentioned staying close to the dive sites. Nearly all the dive sites are at the south end of the island, and pretty much all the Resorts down there are All Inclusives. If you've never been to Cozumel before, be aware that one of Cozumel's big draws (in addition to great diving) for many devoted Cozaholics is the wealth of great restaurant options, and nearly all of those are in town. I, and many others, refuse to do AI on Cozumel simply because there are too many good restaurants that we'd miss. But even staying in town or near town, it's not a terribly long boat ride to the dive sites - 20-35 minutes at most, and staying in town means easy walking access to a lot of very good dining options. Consider that in deciding where to stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom