Cozumel... When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree with what @DjDiverDan has already stated and reinforce the following:
1. Cozumel is not like many other places where you would necessarily want to stay near the "best" dive spots. The best dive spots run nearly the entire length of the west side of the island from the southwest and right on up toward the far north. If you stay in the deep south of the island, you are pretty much stuck staying at all inclusive resorts, which means you will likely miss out on a lot of the best that Cozumel has to offer i.e. culture, night life, great restaurants, local interaction and also "potentially" a number of reefs that those resorts and their dive ops may be unwilling to venture further north to dive.
2. With the exception of the very deep south and very far north dive sites mentioned by Dive Dan already (which are advanced dive sites, usually only visited on request), all other dive sites will give you the option to stay above 95 feet and experience what you are looking to experience. Although, having said that, Cozumel is also unique in that there are some amazing things to see in terms of coral and reef structure in the 80-100 foot range.
3. March is a perfectly great time to visit and dive Cozumel. Weather will be great.
4. I'd also encourage you, especially your first visit, to stay downtown and pick from any number of the great dive ops. I am not going to cheerlead for any one dive op, although I have my own preference. You will need to research that a bit more on your own and decide what works best for you.

Have fun and definitely go!

so guys whats the best restaurants to frequent at Cozumel? and FYI I have been to Cozumel and dove and always said I have to go back... lol I stayed at an all inclusive as I was with the fam.

My personal choices may not be yours but we like staying downtown at Villa Escondida. Magda makes the most incredible authentic Mexican breakfasts and we love Millie, the daschund.

Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast is located right in downtown Cozumel, and it is ideal for travelers who want local attractions at their doorsteps: great dining, the main pier, the central park, local shops and more are all at a short walk from this charming villa. A delicious, complete breakfast consisting of fresh brewed mexican coffee, selection of teas, fresh orange juice, pastries or homemade baking, hot main dish /mexican dishes are our specialty!) and fresh fruit and yogurt is served in the terrace every morning.

As for dive ops. Again my preference is Tres Pelicanos but if you give us more info we might be better able to recommend. For example, are large steel tanks a priority or is more flexibility in diving important to you? In town boat pickup or marina? Large op or smaller shop?

Here is a thread that compares my experience with Tres Pelicanos and Aldora.

Aldora and 3 P's Reviews

@uncfnp great write up on that restaurant thread... boy did i miss out when i went to cozumel... that thread is pages and pages of drool. Lol. thanks for shring that link. it has definately changed my thinking on cozumel completely. i was in the southend lst time I was there amd missed out.

As for diving... i am more of the go with the flow type diver. however, very relaxed and have been picked by divemasters to join them on smaller group dive. They say i am a fish and they are probably right. that time they took me on a fast flyby high current ride which i liked very much as opposed to the much slower drift dive that i apprecite and able to look at stuff dive. yeah i am that guy sticking his head in those small crevaces... lol...
As for big steel tank... i am sure i did that befor sevral times and am ok with it also. I have my own gear so it works. However, if i am with a group that is more beginer i am ok with it also. no problem... dont mind helping and it was in cozumel that i save the divemasters life at +90 as he took down a half empty tank and swam to me to save hime. Hmnnn wonder why?

I love swim throughs... dont mind some sharks... but dont necesarily seek them out because i prefer those little guys with the color of the rainbow. i own a reef tank at home and stare at that thing most of my time off.

Hope that helps a bit.

We go to Coz for three reasons.

Diving, food and diving! :wink:

Sounds like you have some experience with the dive ops there and that most any will work for you. In that case I would first decide where you are staying then pick the shop with the most convenient location and pickup.

There is lots of good info on various posts here regarding favorite restaurants, and I'm sure everyone has their own list. There is also good info on CozumelMyCozumel.com, a blog written by an expat living on Cozumel. My own list of "do not miss" places include El Moro (way back in the hoods, at about 75 just north of the Transversal), Pescaderia San Carlos (NOT open for dinner, but a great seafood lunch), La Cocay (a bit higher end, outstanding food), Kinta or Kondessa (two restaurants with the same owner - higher end, great food), Casa Mission (one of three Mission retaurants, this is back at 65, just south of the transversal, a beautiful Mexican house with great gardens), Del Sur Argentine Empanadas (great for a light dinner, with both sweet and savory empanadas), Guidos, New Especias, La Terraza, Pancho's Backyard, La Perlita (great ceviche!), and any of several "loncherias" that serve a big lunch for a small price, and for breakfast on any non-diving day, the Museum or Jeannies Waffle House.

Back
Top Bottom