CPAP - Distilled Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about CPAP machines, but you might consider whether boiling some water would precipitate out enough minerals to make it suitable for your use. The result isn't quite as pure as distilled water, but whether it's suitable depends on what one needs it for.
Heating water does not cause dissolved solids to precipitate out; it makes solids more soluble, not less.

Heating water does not cause dissolved solids to precipitate out; it makes solids more soluble, not less.

Tell that to my tea kettle. Ever have to de-scale a kettle or coffeemaker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

"Boiling, which promotes the formation of carbonate from the bicarbonate, will precipitate calcium carbonate out of solution, leaving water that is less hard on cooling."

I see what you mean about my original statement, though. I said "precipitate out minerals." I suppose that's not accurate.

Um.....if you collect the water vapour from the boiling water......that is distilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My insurance will replace my reservoir on a recurring schedule, just like the mask/hose/filters.

Will you NEED the humidifier feature there? The air's pretty humid as it is.

I've been using CPAP for many years, without a humidifier, but living in Northern California, that's not an issue.

Check with your doc/respiratory therapist.

Will you NEED the humidifier feature there? The air's pretty humid as it is.

I've been using CPAP for many years, without a humidifier, but living in Northern California, that's not an issue.

Check with your doc/respiratory therapist.

Not sure Fisheater, but I intend to find out. I know that in most air conditioned rooms I get really dry without the CPAP humidifier. While the rooms in Cozumel are air conditioned, they are still more humid than a typical air conditioned room in a non-coastal area. So again, worth a try. That said, Christi told me where the distilled water is located in the Mega, so at least I have distilled water if I need it!

I gave up on distilled water a while back. I use tap water and clean the tank with a little white vinegar every once in a while.

I have also given up on taking the humidifier on trips. Especially to the tropics. Cuts down on the clutter a little and I seem to survive just fine. YMMV with regard to humidity. Give it a try and I will bet there is more than enough humidity in the air for a comfortable nights sleep.

I used bottled water in Coz for a week. Sometimes travel means I don't use distilled water. Use the best water you can but keep your machine clean.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions! I will post my results for consideration by others using a CPAP in Cozumel (or on any foreign travel).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom