CR123 batteries for torches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of getting an Intova dive torch but have some concerns about the batteries it takes.

The CR123 batteries are quite expensive here in Australia - a set of 2 batteries will cost around the equivalent of $17 US dollars (by comparison 4 x C cells for my current torch cost the equivalent of $6 or $7 US dollars).

I found a US website that sells their own branded CR123 batteries much cheaper - at US $1.50 (or cheaper in bulk).
CR123A Batteries CR123 Batteries CR123A Battery CR123 Battery

I am wondering if anyone has used these batteries and could comment on their quality.

Also does anyone have any info on rechargeable CR123 batteries - the ones I have seen seem to be much lower in mAh than non-rechargeables.

I have also seen CR123A batteries - are these any different to CR123 (without the 'A')

Thanks!

All of my backup torches use these batteries. Depending on the power consumption of your torch, they may last a while. I believe I can get about 3-4 hours with the Intova.

I have 2 of these torches for sale if you are interested. PM me for details.

As far as batteries, you can get them on candlepowerforums or ebay is another option.

Tyler

I have used Battery Station brand CR123's for years in lights with good results. These where not dive lights though but it should matter.

I live in Australia too so I know what you mean when normal outlets charge up to $10 per cell. The other listers are absolutely right. Use EBay or sites like Battery Junction and you will drop this Australian price by 80%.

That said, I use rechargeables in all my 123 powered torches and save even more money.

Your LED will cope with rechargeable's given it regulates the power coming in. Older technology incandescents will globe-blow immediately

Rechargeables use different chemistry so their capacity is different to one-use-only cells. 700mAh is as much as you can expect for a rechargeable CR123R, compared to 1,400mAh for a single cell. The advertised 3.6V or 3.7V for a rechargeable is only an average of what it is fully charged to what it is when it is depleted (or when the inbuilt protection circuit cuts in). Li-ion rechargeables are about 4.15V when fully charged and deplete to 3V. Hence the advertised 3.6V.

With slightly higher voltage than your one-use-only batteries you won't get any more light out of it. Like I said, the buck in the torch will regulate the voltage and limit the amps to the globe, to both protect it and maintain optimum brightness.

Given you can recharge the batteries in your car or with mains power you only need as much light plus say 20% than what you plan to dive in a day (2-3 dives max). Work out how long underwater that is and you realise that rechargeables will work just as well as more expensive one-use-only's.

Happy diving

Mac

I disagree with Packhorse...it is unlikely you will damage it using rechargeables. It is a regulated circuit.

Why don't you email the manufacturers and ask them?

Notice I said "unlikely," while Packhorse writes as if he knows for sure. Until you know from trying you cannot give advice with such certainty.

Packhorse is correct with many of the CR123 they are 3.6v and when fully charged they can be up around 4.0v or the ones on Battery station 4.2v. Many leds can be pushed a little but most filament bulbs will just flash with the increase voltage. use them in a multi cell light and now a 2 cell has basically become a 3 cell when at newly charged state.

By the way I order from batteystation and buy in bulk, a little cheaper yet. they are great for the price and are now made in the us. candlepowerforums is also a great sight for light info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom