crab collection in victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undersea Kat:
Does anyone know the better areas to dive for crab in Victoria?? Any suggestions would be great.
Everyone I know goes to Esquimalt lagoon in Colwood. Dive on the outer (exposed) side of the causeway. You have to swim out quite a bit to get deeper than 30 feet. I don't care too much about crabbing (it seems like too much of a hassle to me and it stinks up my kitchen) so I've only been there once. It's a sandy bottom and there are crabs scurrying around and hiding under pieces of kelp. Remember size limits and quantity restrictions as there are sometimes fisheries guys waiting to check on you when you surface. Another fisheries guy told me that theoretically, you have to have your fishing licence on you while you are crabbing underwater, not left in the car on shore. I used to put mine in a zip lock bag under my wetsuit.

undersea Kat:
Does anyone know the better areas to dive for crab in Victoria?? Any suggestions would be great.
Yes, the Lagoon is the place for crab. Although there are lots near benntick Island (near Race rocks) but you need a boat as the land is DND property. Also, lots of dungies around Daphne Island (easy shore dive) out towards Buchart Gardens. And.........lots of red rock around spring Bay (the easiest shore dive around). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom