Crack bottles and such....wtf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't even know crack bottles were a thing until I was reading Mark Powell's Technical Diving: An Introduction book and they were mentioned.

I've been diving and shopping for gear (in the United States) since 2013 and have never, ever seen one available for sale.

I've been diving and shopping for gear (in the United States) since 2013 and have never, ever seen one available for sale.

I've been diving and shopping for dive gear since 1979 and I don't ever remember seeing one in a dive shop, in a catalog or online. But I was never looking for one either, and may have missed noticing it somewhere.

If they are what I am thinking of, it is an air bottle (not CO2) that makes a spare air look huge. Literally just enough air to fill a DSMB. I have never seen one in person. Only seen photos of them. Looks like one of those solution in search of a problem dreams someone had and thought they would sell great, and were happy when 5 years later the last of the starter batch finally sold.

Why is this such a thing in the UK and never made it to this side of the pond?

A lot of the old BCDs had them. You might be able to cannibalize an old BCD if you talk to your local dive shop. The older the shop the better chance of them having one somewhere in an old storeroom.

You can find old BCDs on EBay, but you won't know what the cartridge detonator connection looks like and how easy it would be to convert until you have it in hand.
Thanks, good place to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom