Crappie, Rock Bass, or Other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
If not a bluegill, what's your best guess? The fish I see that look like this tend to be about 6 inches long or less.

Due to the shape of the body and the coloration on its sides I would go with L. microlophus (redear). However it doesn't have the little red tab on the flap of the operculum that you normally see with redear. This may have disappeared at depth though. I definitely do not see it as a bluegill. Watcha' think of that call? :D

rhine64:
Due to the shape of the body and the coloration on its sides I would go with L. microlophus (redear). However it doesn't have the little red tab on the flap of the operculum that you normally see with redear. This may have disappeared at depth though.
The size of the opercular flap seems to best match a redear, although the ones on bluegill's aren't typically much larger. They're also skimpy on green's.

Green's and redear's readily hybridize in Texas. The crosses also have skimpy opercular flaps.

Back
Top Bottom