Cressi-sub Edy computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Spoke too soon:shakehead: my mosquito has decided its only gonna work in guage mode changed the battery etc but still doesnt work properly...so am perhaps in the market for a new one, ive done heaps of research etc etc so am not looking for any advice re other computers.

My question is this does anyone have any first hand experience with a Cressi-sub Edy I was looking at it at a shop near me and its on sale looks pretty good, what info I have found says its ok but first hand exp is always more reliable...so if you have one Id be interested in your thoughts...Cheers

I had a Cressi Edy and absolutely loved it. It is easy to use, easy to read, and has plenty of functions on it. And downloadable to PC (which is pretty standard now, I guess). The only problem I had with it was the strap. I have very small (female!) wrists and the strap never fit properly- the strap would always come out from under the band loop. It fell off a few times and then the last time it fell off I did not notice, so it is gone. Sad...so sad...because I did love the computer. If you are a smallish sized female though, reinforce the strap somehow.

sea2see, im sorry for your loss.....how long did you have it? what is the case made from? and is the face plastic or glass?......thanks

FWIW, at one time I was very interested in the Edy and tried to research it. I was particularly curious about the face material and couldn't find anything about it. I finally called Cressi in the U.S. and they didn't know, said they would check with Italy and that I should call back in a week or two (I thought that was a bit odd).

I did call back and they told me it was glass. I asked if it was mineral glass and the guy said he had no idea. That appeared to be the end of their interest on that issue and I didin't ask them to check further. I finally concluded that if it was any sort of scratch-resistant glass they would mention it in their literature.

I ended up choosing a different product with a different algorithm anyway, so I lost interest. I do still have a Cressi Archimedes II around somewhere and I was interested in the Edy because the Cressi had such a good display and was very easy to use. I understand the Edy is comparable, just a bit smaller. I had concerns about product support in the U.S. after that, but who knows.

So, if you are happy with the algorithm and can live with regular glass, I think it looks pretty nice. Service might be a problem in the U.S., if that matters. Cressi is pretty popular in Mexico and at least parts of Europe, and I would suspect you would get better service there, in case that is of help.

Hope this helps.

Cressi Edy has been very good to me. I'm probably going to buy another one. I used it for recreational diving for about 40-50 dives. I absolutely have no complaints at all. I used it in freediving as well.

I chose Edy because of it's freediving/gauge/dive modes up to 200 meters. Also to be able to see your logs and other info, you don't HAVE to connect it to a PC. I have a macintosh computer, so this rules out some models out there which to be able to see the whole profile you have to connect it to a PC.

I basically need a simple backup bottom timer, but given the ridiculous prices out there, Cressi Edy is still a winner for me. I will be running the new one in gauge mode.

I like my Edy. I originally got it thinking I would use it as a regular watch as well as a computer. While there's nothing wrong with using it like that, I was afraid I would smash it into something during my work so I stopped wearing it daily and will be getting a Casio G-Shock as a daily wear watch and as a backup timer for dives. My wife has an Archimedes II console and they work almost exactly the same. Very easy to use and understand. I think the main difference between the Edy and the Archimedes II is that the Edy only recognizes a secondary gas with a maximum of 40% O2 while the Archimedes II can recognize 99%.

If I ever get to the point in my diving where I'd need a computer that can do 99% O2, I'll probably give my Edy to my wife or daughter to use.

yeah, the face is glass and quite durable- I used it and wore it everyday with no probs. The metal case around the face got quite dinged up, but I was a DM when I had it, so slinging a lot of tanks! i almost got another one because it was so easy to read and use, but I couldn't stand to lose it again. The strap is designed so that it doesn't wrap well around small wrists.

From the posts above, I see that someone else has had a nice dose of Cressi customer service? So sorry! I used to work at an authorized dealer. They can be challenging to work with.

Cressi-sub EDY is on my list of "maybes", along with Mosquito, Geo and Nemo Sport...doing some research, but I also have very very small wrists and many regular ladies watches can be too l large sometimes...so definitely good info to have...thanks...I am also seeing some issues on SB with the Mosquito so considering taking that off my list

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom