Criminally negligent homicide?/Scuba Instructor Faces Charges (merged threads)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stress is a the root of more dive acidents than any other single factor.
Jay

I believe the adage is that panic leads to more dive accidents than any other factor. And stress can lead to panic. So you are right... as far as it goes.

Problem with leaving it at that is: stress doesn't exist in a vacuum. So it's more like the tree trunk.

Indeed, that which stresses us the most is unpreparedness. When a situation arises for which we are unprepared, we get stressed.

I think a more complete assessment would be: inadequate training, which leads to stress and panic, is at the root of more dive accidents than any other single factor.

So about the topic at hand... It's quite possible (to which decades of dive training will attest) to train the doff/don exercise. If a situation arises where a diver is forced to doff and ditch, do you suppose he'll be more or less stressed if he has accomplished that task in the past?

Without government intervention there is little that can be done.
If you think this is the answer, then I can tell that you have obviously never found yourself on the business end of a "government intervention". Do you want congressmen on the take from lobbyists setting dive laws, standards and regulations? Do you want career government bureaucrats who have probably never been underwater monitoring your classes? Your diving? Approving whether you can dive to 61' with an OW card and 100+ dives? Or cave dive? Or penetrate a wreck? That is one slippery slope, my friend, and it leads down an escarpment.

I do not think this is a safe drill. I do not understand why it was being done in an open water class. You should never breath compressed air then leave your scuba regulator at the bottom. This goes againt what a reasonably prudent scuba instructor would allow. I am afraid they may have a case.
Jay

OOA driils unreasonable? In my open water we praticed OOA and buddy breathing on one reg in the open ocean. 1998 is not *that* long ago.

Do you think this is unsafe because they left the gear on the bottom? That is a little hardcore...

hi all, i've recently returned from vacation and have been very very busy this week back at work, etc. so i'm out of touch with news, etc. but i heard someone say something about a scuba accident in a pool in the last day or two and it was a female, and she died. anyone know about this one?

Perhaps he thinks it's unsafe because the PADI system for training open water divers does not allow an instructor sufficient time to build up to this skill. I know. I went thru it. It's do this, ok, now do this, and now this. Ok check out time.

Every pool session we review what we did in the last one and build on that in the system I now teach. You could clear your mask fine the last two sessions? OK, now do it again and this time remove it while hovering off the bottom and clear it.

We start this skill by removing gear a piece at a time. fins, bc, weight belt, mask. Sitting on the bottom. Now take the reg out and replace it. Ok everything back on. Next session after doing that again along with a no mask swim, then a swim with no mask or bc while air sharing. Then come back put everything on. Then I demo the ditch and recovery drill. Then the students turn. One at a time with me within arms reach.

By the time they get to this it's not such a big deal. Of course it's also been said at least 20 times never hold your breath. I even exaggerate the act of exhaling while ascending SLOWLY and pointing to my mouth. This is in 10 feet of water. I'd love to be able to do it in an 18 foot pool. Would be so much easier to do with the extra pressure helping to stay down.

This takes place at pool session 5, 6, or 7. Depending on the student's progress, the size of the class, and my judgement as to whether they are ready for it. How many of you who say it's too dangerous do that many pool sessions and spend that much time building up to a so called difficult(by that time it's not) skill? How many of you review previously learned skills every session? I'm guessing that the ones that think this is dangerous do not do this. If not, why not? Too much time to be sure they have this stuff down?

I'm feeling such sorrow for the family over their loss here.
And I would like to send my condolences to his family & friends.

Any loss of a person's life will almost always effect
so many others and my heart goes out to them all.

Life in itself, being so precious, dwindles from a thread.
With that in mind we and his family should remember
that he was doing what he wanted to do when
this terrible string of events occurred,
which resulting in his families loss.

This posting in no way is meant to cause anyone
additional stress or bad feelings whatsoever.
But, if he signed a waiver and was
made to understand not to hold his breath.
He/his family really shouldn't have recourse on this.

It may or may not have been right for the instructor
to be occupied with something else.
(Taken from the "lawsuit" story)

Keeping in mind that the instructor likely couldn't
have done anything to help with this problem.
As he would have caused the embolism on
the way to the surface, not at the surface.

Had the story said that he surfaced and then drown,
I would feel very differently about this.

It just seems to me that this person made the decision
to do this and now,because of the unfortunate outcome,
the family would like to get paid for his mistake.
I once read a Post on this Board (I believe Uncle Pug Once Wrote)
It had a "letter to his family". (A real tear jerking read.) "Thank You ! U.P."
I think the title of the letter was "If I Should Die While Diving"
that pretty much sums up my thoughts on all this lawsuit stuff & diving.

Last edited:
It the comment in the article is true - I would say that said instructor is in deep poopoo

"Moore inhaled pressurized air from his equipment while he descended, officials said."

I know this is a horrible story, and my prayers go out to the family...

Nooo, moore inhaled chlorine water and was able to use his gills to breathe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom