Critique my homebrew PP blending whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes perfect sense. I have been filling my torch tanks for a while so that part (whip) I am not much concerned with. I just need to clean the adapter (post whip) for my "yoke end attachment".

Formula for new mix:
(FO2 mix - 21) / 79 = ________ * (final tank psi) = PSI of O2 necessary to achieve desired mix

So, say:

(EAN36 - 21) / 79 = 0.18987341772151898734177215189873 * 3000 psi = 569.62 psi of O2, then top off with OCA.

This will be the majority of your calculations unless you are a rich man and can afford a gas booster, or are a crafty man who can build a hydraulic gas booster yourself.

looks good, mine is similar. i see you are using a QD to attach the o2 end of it..... i have 2 ends for mine. my tank and hose end is like yours. the other end with the dq on it will occomodate a qd fitted cga540 or another din fitting for tank to tank. my compressor output also has a qd on it so i can use it to fill with also. Make sure you know how to vent the qd's for when they get presure locked from human error. the only gage i have on mine is on the tank end like yours. the o2 end does not need one. once again when you put the qd on the o2 end get one that does not have valve in it. if you presureize the cga fitting without the hose attached you will have problems unless you can vent the fitting or get the 540 loosened to vent it off.

Last edited:
looks good, mine is similar. i see you are using a QD to attach the o2 end of it..... i have 2 ends for mine. my tank and hose end is like yours. the other end with the dq on it will occomodate a qd fitted cga540 or another din fitting for tank to tank. my compressor output also has a qd on it so i can use it to fill with also. Make sure you know how to vent the qd's for when they get presure locked from human error. the only gage i have on mine is on the tank end like yours. the o2 end does not need one. once again when you put the qd on the o2 end get one that does not have valve in it. if you presureize the cga fitting without the hose attached you will have problems unless you can vent the fitting or get the 540 loosened to vent it off.

Thanks for the tips!

The Parker ST series are "straight-thru", so when you disconnect them, there is no pressure retaining feature...which is why I was thinking about adding a valve between the orifice and QD fitting, so I can check my O2 t-tank pressure.

Here is the set up I put together today.
Already had the parts on-hand...

PP fill whip.jpg

Ignore the laundry pile please...

I'm not a big fan of the QD's. I have male DIN's on both ends of my mix whip.....I use a hand tight 540 (O2) to female DIN, and a 580 (Helium, Argon, etc) to a Female DIN to feed the gas. The only thing I did not add was a one way valve. The QD's have a tendency to leak over time. Plus in a a bind I can always use it to equalize tanks.

Let me know if you want pics.

tb

Not all my tanks are DIN capable so I must stay with a Yoke setup. I did order a true Yoke adaptor to replace the paintball fill end.
I also decided that I am going to fill from the two storage tanks (on the right in the pic) and then use the OxyCon to re-fill them.
This way I fire up the OxyCon fewer times.

Also, I wrote an Excel application that will compute the amount of Oxy to add for a PP fill. It is based on the current mix and pressure in the tank, the concentration of the Oxygen to be added, and of course the capacity of the tank.
If anyone would like a copy of this, send me a PM with your email address.
I do not expect any compensation for my work, however, if you use it I ask that you do something to benefit the Veterans in your area. See my signature as too why.

Back
Top Bottom