Critter ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's another one to ponder. I know it LOOKS like a piece of bleached coral, but we don't think that's what it is. It's not connected to any other coral (that we can see). I chose not to crop it so you can see where it sits and that it's not attached to anything. My husband basically 'made' me take a picture of it - and I thought it was stupid because it looked like a piece of bleached coral! I didn't take a video, but husband said it was moving like an animal moves. We were at Cedral Pass. So ... thoughts?

View attachment 633373
Night picture?

@Kimela

First shot is definitely a slug, not sure where you were when you photographed it, perhaps I missed the location in other posts.

The name "Flying Dingbat" is unfamiliar to me but from my reference books which are mainly Indo-Pacific critters, it looks like some form of Headshield Slug Siphopteron sp.

Nice Toadfish shot :thumb:

My first thought was the "feathery thing" above it was the gills of a nudibranch.

Here's another one to ponder. I know it LOOKS like a piece of bleached coral, but we don't think that's what it is. It's not connected to any other coral (that we can see). I chose not to crop it so you can see where it sits and that it's not attached to anything. My husband basically 'made' me take a picture of it - and I thought it was stupid because it looked like a piece of bleached coral! I didn't take a video, but husband said it was moving like an animal moves. We were at Cedral Pass. So ... thoughts?

img_2963-jpeg.633373.jpg

Looks like a Tritoniopsis sp nudibranch

First shot is definitely a slug, not sure where you were when you photographed it, perhaps I missed the location in other posts.

The flying dingbat was at Palancar Horseshoe. It sure is handy that my camera date/time stamps the pics, and my Geo 4.0 computer includes the day/time when it downloads the info to my phone. I try to enter the dive site info for each dive while still on the boat, before I forget - then I add pics to those logs, usually later in the day.

I had to Google that, so Cozumel in Mexico.

Oh, yes! You must have found this thread by looking at 'Recent Posts'. We're on the Cozumel sub-forum, so I assumed you knew I meant Cozumel. :wink:

Oh, yes! You must have found this thread by looking at 'Recent Posts'. We're on the Cozumel sub-forum, so I assumed you knew I meant Cozumel. :wink:

doh

:banghead:

First one is definitely not a Spanish Dancer - I've seen those several times (Indonesia), and that photo doesn't look anything like them, except "red". Flappin' Dingbat sounds more likely. No idea on the others.

Think this is kind of already resolved , but certainly looks like gastropteron chacmol, which at least some ID books call the flapping dingbat. Chacmol is evidently a variation on the spelling for a Mayan figure according to some sites

Happened to find this post from 15 years ago—I am assuming this is you @jlyle ?

[The Sea Slug Forum - Gastropteron chacmol]

Think this is kind of already resolved , but certainly looks like gastropteron chacmol, which at least some ID books call the flapping dingbat. Chacmol is evidently a variation on the spelling for a Mayan figure according to some sites

Happened to find this post from 15 years ago—I am assuming this is you @jlyle ?

[The Sea Slug Forum - Gastropteron chacmol]

Yes. T'was I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom