Critter ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like a feather duster to me...

I looked up pictures of feather duster worms and I don't think it's a match either. Still stumped. Next stop, Amazon for the critter ID book.

Wrong ocean.

Okay. Maybe that species is rheophilic and found it's way here. Or it's unidentified.

Here's a start...

Of the 625 known species 550 are Feather Stars belonging to the order Comatulida which is divided into 17 families.

• Antedonidae
  • Aporometridae
  • Asterometridae
  • Atelecrinidae
  • Calometridae
  • Charitometridae
  • Comasteridae
  • Colobometridae
  • Eudiocrinidae
  • Himerometridae
  • Mariametridae
  • Notocrinidae
  • Pentametrocrinidae
  • Ptilometridae
  • Thalassometridae
  • Tropiometridae
  • Zygometridae
crinoids-sea-star-notes-4-638.jpg

Okay. Maybe that species is rheophilic and found it's way here. Or it's unidentified.

Here's a start...

Of the 625 known species 550 are Feather Stars belonging to the order Comatulida which is divided into 17 families.

• Antedonidae
  • Aporometridae
  • Asterometridae
  • Atelecrinidae
  • Calometridae
  • Charitometridae
  • Comasteridae
  • Colobometridae
  • Eudiocrinidae
  • Himerometridae
  • Mariametridae
  • Notocrinidae
  • Pentametrocrinidae
  • Ptilometridae
  • Thalassometridae
  • Tropiometridae
  • Zygometridae
View attachment 633356
The only crinoids I know of (hey, I'm a physical oceanographer!) in the Caribbean are Comasteridae and Colobometridae. The Creature ID book Kimela is going to buy lists only
upload_2020-12-29_21-51-14.png

upload_2020-12-29_21-51-46.png

upload_2020-12-29_21-52-15.png

upload_2020-12-29_21-52-32.png

I'm just a reefer, but if I were Kimela I'd call it Crinoid Kimelata and be done with it.

Yes ... I like that one ... !!! :)

The first is a slug (I assume)
I think that Tursiopse got it.
Flapping Dingbat bubble snail.

The very first is also known as "spanish dancer"
"The Spanish dancer is widespread throughout the tropical and subtropical waters of the Indo-Pacific area from the eastern coasts of Africa, Red Sea included, to Hawaii and from south Japan to Australia"

The second is the red, feathery thing hanging down by the splendid toad fish.
Unspecified Crinoid.

Here's another one to ponder. I know it LOOKS like a piece of bleached coral, but we don't think that's what it is. It's not connected to any other coral (that we can see). I chose not to crop it so you can see where it sits and that it's not attached to anything. My husband basically 'made' me take a picture of it - and I thought it was stupid because it looked like a piece of bleached coral! I didn't take a video, but husband said it was moving like an animal moves. We were at Cedral Pass. So ... thoughts?

IMG_2963.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom