Crotch Strap - can i add one to my BCD if it did not come with one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira, what type of BC do you have? Maybe I can help brainstorm with you. Even if you get the a Crotch strap with a quick release you'll still have a loop as you're connection point to the front, so I don't think your solution would be ideal.

I have a Sea Elite Scout BCD.

I did my DIY crotch strap. I will test it wet in three weeks.
Here some pics.
The triangle buckle in the middle is a plastic piece taken from a broken plastic chair.
No modification was done to the BCD.

Attachments

• SEE0079-Side.jpg
    SEE0079-Side.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7548.jpg
    IMG_7548.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7549.jpg
    IMG_7549.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7551.jpg
    IMG_7551.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7555.jpg
    IMG_7555.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7556.jpg
    IMG_7556.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7558.jpg
    IMG_7558.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 179
That looks pretty cool. I rigged my crotch strap with a fastex clip that allows the belt to slide and thus be adjusted. I really like that aspect of it. I think you will be surprised how much of an improvement in underwater stability that will provide.

Nicely done.

I have a SeaQuest Unlimited Pro and even when strapped tightly it does sometimes have a tendency to migrate when upside down. Not using the integrated weight pouches does help but it also helps to ensure it's the right fit for you in the first place. Try adjusting the lower back and spine adjustors so it's a snug fit to begin with. I don't know the wreck you mention but I do know the SeaQuest range is quite bulky as it's padded to be comfortable. Perhaps you might want to penetrate using a harness type BCD? Have you considered a sidemount harness? I have one that does not use a crotch strap (I hate the things!), but instead has a wrap around the thigh design, and I love it. Took a while to get used to the lack of padding that SeaQuest afforded tho.

Why are you often upside down in a wreck? Have you considered getting a bp/w?

Why are you often upside down in a wreck? Have you considered getting a bp/w?

Not a wreck diver but I'll take a guess and say that some ship wrecks lay on their side. It just may be more ideal to trim yourself that way when swimming down a corridor.

I´ve used my crotch strap this past week end and it turned fantastic. The BCD felt much more comfortable in the surface.
Thanks to all.
Compared with the previous pics, the BCD remains in it´s place in the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_8815.jpg
    IMG_8815.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 258
"Hey buddy, I'm testing out a crotch strap this weekend, can you take pictures so I can post them on the internet?"

I'm glad it all worked out.

"Hey buddy, I'm testing out a crotch strap this weekend, can you take pictures so I can post them on the internet?"

I'm glad it all worked out.

That was my camera.

I know this is a relatively old thread...but I did this with my new back inflate travel BCD and it worked wonders. Did a pool dive yesterday and I'm so happy I came across this thread. It wasn't such a problem under water but at the surface it drove me bonkers how I felt my head was wearing the BCD and not my body...now I'm good to go and I like this BC so much better underwater than my old jacket style. :)

Back
Top Bottom