Suggestion Crowd-sourced suggestions/voting for In-memorium user tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
-JD-

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
View attachment 760338 :sadness:
"Contributor" is a gross understatement.

@Akimbo 's post in Couv's passing thread got me thinking. Can't we do better than let "contributor" be the first-blush legacy for members who have past.

How about crowd-sourcing ideas for tags that let posterity know what They meant to Us-ScubaBoard. Then a poll could be run.

Interesting idea. It would be a little uncomfortable to change a custom banner for a deceased member, which Contributor is not, but maybe we could add a link to their signature to the thread in the Passings forum?
I had thought about the custom banner, but will a custom banner continue once the supporter status times out?
Passings-thread link in the sig is a good idea too.

I had thought about the custom banner, but will a custom banner continue once the supporter status times out?

By custom banner, do you mean like the Rest in Peace or Instructor badges? Just to make sure we are using the same nomenclature:

1671821260697.png

Are you suggesting a custom banner for members that are exceptional contributors? This brings up a lot of questions:
  1. Would the "honor" be limited to deceased members?
  2. What process and criteria would be to choose them?
  3. How could we do this without creating ill-will between members that think they or their friends deserve it? This belief could be honest and/or ego-driven — it can be hard to tell.

By custom banner, do you mean like the Rest in Peace or Instructor badges? Just to make sure we are using the same nomenclature:

View attachment 760359

Are you suggesting a custom banner for members that are exceptional contributors? This brings up a lot of questions:
  1. Would the "honor" be limited to deceased members?
  2. What process and criteria would be to choose them?
  3. How could we do this without creating ill-will between members that think they or their friends deserve it? This belief could be honest and/or ego-driven — it can be hard to tell.
I was calling it a "tag" but I'm referencing the "Title Supporters can customize" as you listed it.

1. Would the "honor" be limited to deceased members? That was my thought. Active members should choose their own "title" if they are a supporter.
  2. What process and criteria would be to choose them? Essentially a separate thread for suggestions, then a (probably non-exclusive) poll to vote. I'm sure some more fleshing-out is required
  3. How could we do this without creating ill-will between members that think they or their friends deserve it? This belief could be honest and/or ego-driven — it can be hard to tell. If they are a member and active enough to generate a "Passings" thread, prompting a RIP Banner, we can probably find a nice (or cleverly wry) quip to memorialize them uniquely. Even us folks that are (sometimes?) a PITA have an impact the SB community. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom