Crowsnest Pub destroyed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully they can get sorted out quickly. A fire is a terrible thing to go through for any business. In a small town like Tobermory, there's a limited number of builders available too, which can pose challenges when rebuilding. Maybe we could all volunteer our time... Kinda like Habitat for Humanity. Work for Beers!

A few of my friends were lobbying me to apply for a liquor license for my house which is just down the street. That sounded like a GREAT idea... :rofl3:

I hate to be the bearer of sad news, but travelers to Tobermory should know that the Crowsnest Pub was destroyed by fire last night.

Long the preferred watering hole for divers and boaters in Tobermory, the pub recently changed owners and had undergone some recent renovations. It is my understanding that no one was injured thankfully.

The Crowsnest is a short, and frequent, stumble from my house, and its draught beer is known to have magical powers when it comes to reducing residual nitrogen. (It must have!) It is also home to the world-famous Harbour Rats, who sound better as the night progresses for some reason.

Hopefully, given the time of year the owners will have time to rebuild before spring.

These pictures were taken by Jack Salen

Ah, sad news indeed! :depressed:

Although I no longer live in TGWN, this establishment was a favourite from all our dives up in Toby. Who can forget their delectably fresh fish n chips? Or the amazing smoked whitefish? A cozy, friendly place to sit & talk.

It will be missed. :crying2:

Ah, sad news indeed! :depressed:

Although I no longer live in TGWN, this establishment was a favourite from all our dives up in Toby. Who can forget their delectably fresh fish n chips? Or the amazing smoked whitefish? A cozy, friendly place to sit & talk.

It will be missed. :crying2:

Wow I think you should dine around :) just kidding. Ok food was ok, but not all that good. When new guys took it over I asked them to introduce real cheese on their nachos and they did. I love nachos and I hope it was good advise and not the reason for the bar to burn :) I love Tobermory, I bring a lot of bussiness there but lately I don't think we are getting fair value for our hard earned dollar. It's not about this particular business but in general. There is no parking, hotels are super expensive. In addition to running dive center in Toronto I have travel agency. I find it's less expensive for me to take my students for all inclusive trip to Cuba then to run open water check out dives in Tobermory. Is it only me or you guys feel the same ?

Toby has a disadvantage in that they have only a short season compared to Cuba where it's year round. If you run a shop, you know that fixed costs are there every month. Have you ever been to Toby after the Chi-Cheemaun stops? There's not much business happening. In general they've got 3 good months, and 3 so-so months to pay the bills for 12 months.

Toby has a disadvantage in that they have only a short season compared to Cuba where it's year round. If you run a shop, you know that fixed costs are there every month. Have you ever been to Toby after the Chi-Cheemaun stops? There's not much business happening. In general they've got 3 good months, and 3 so-so months to pay the bills for 12 months.

Fair enough, yet diving industry and charters have very reasonable rates. They have only few months to make it down there as well. It's the hotel prices that are super high. I can book Mariott at any major european city for less then I pay in Tobermory. The food could be better as well , it's not only my opinion but feedback from many customers. And of course parking issue, they have 2 hrs parking limit where average charter takes much longer time. They should be more diver friendly since diving is what put Tobermory on the map .

Anyway I put some numbers together .

Long weekend in Tobermory:
gas to get there $100
hotel 3 nights $550
Charter 3 days $225
Air feels $60
Food 3 days $120
Beer $120
Total $1175

All inclusive trip to Cuba with Aquasub Travel (airfare, accomodation with single supplement ,unlimited food ,booze , 5 days of two tank diving with Cuban divemaster and Aquasub instructor,video of your trip, taxes )
Total $905

And we are going there on Thursday :)

Norbert

Aquasub Travel
AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre located in Richmond Hill serving the Greater Toronto Area

Good thing there is no bias in your post :shakehead:. Your numbers are inaccurate for Tobermory as some travel it. Your numbers are nothing more than a way for you to try and make your Cuba trip look good. I have stayed for less than what you show, was diving so I did not get hammered every night and ate for less. Enjoy Cuba.

Having said all that, I do agree that Tobermory is not necessarily the cheapest "Destination" in Southern Ontario however, there really are no other "destinations in Southern Ontario for diving. Parking is atrocious in Tobermory. Air fills are expensive but not ridiculously so IMO. Charters are reasonable. Geograophy dictates where Tobermory is so the fuel is what it is. Bottom line is, Tobermory is the best diving in this area (IMO and in many opinions but likely not all). If you do not like it, go to Kingston or Brockville.

Fair enough, yet diving industry and charters have very reasonable rates. They have only few months to make it down there as well. It's the hotel prices that are super high. I can book Mariott at any major european city for less then I pay in Tobermory. The food could be better as well , it's not only my opinion but feedback from many customers. And of course parking issue, they have 2 hrs parking limit where average charter takes much longer time. They should be more diver friendly since diving is what put Tobermory on the map .

Anyway I put some numbers together .

Long weekend in Tobermory:
gas to get there $100
hotel 3 nights $550
Charter 3 days $225
Air feels $60
Food 3 days $120
Beer $120
Total $1175

All inclusive trip to Cuba with Aquasub Travel (airfare, accomodation with single supplement ,unlimited food ,booze , 5 days of two tank diving with Cuban divemaster and Aquasub instructor,video of your trip, taxes )
Total $905

And we are going there on Thursday :)

Norbert

Aquasub Travel
AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre located in Richmond Hill serving the Greater Toronto Area

A few of my friends were lobbying me to apply for a liquor license for my house which is just down the street. That sounded like a GREAT idea... :rofl3:

Well Stu: it's been a few years since I have traveled the Bruce to go diving, but the fire is bad news. On the other hand, let me know when the official opening of Chez Stu is scheduled and I will make room in the social calendar!

Be well, mate.

I enjoy Tobermory as I do Kingston, Brockville and Point Traverse. Usually when I go to Tobermory I am with my club and the owner of Trails End Lodge is a member so we get a good deal and the weekend is not particularly expensive, probably about the same as the other locations. When I go to Tobermory not with the club I am always surprised just how expensive accommodation is. As for the diving in Tobermory if it wasn't for the Forest City I do not think I would bother making the trip each year, the wrecks out of Point Traverse and Kingston are, in my opinion, better dives than the others in Tobermory.

I was on Norbert's last trip to Cuba and he doesn't have any reason to try to make it look like a better deal than it is because it was a fantastic deal. The accommodation and food were quite good, the dive operator excellent and the diving was quite good with the exception of the dives on the Christobal Colon which were magnificent. The company was also excellent. Next year I plan to go again.

It is obvious that Norberto was only trying to make Tobermory look expensive with BS numbers. $550 for a room per person? Give me a break. A very simple search shows MANY locations that will cost much less than that and that is NOT per person. Even on long weekends. How many divers pound back 6-10 beers every night (at pub prices) while diving? Very few. Another BS. Food is not any more (or not by much anyways) expensive than most places in Southern Ontario IMO. Are you getting fine French cuisine? God no. But if you expect that then you are in the wrong spot then princess.

For anybody that is reading this, do not take my word OR Norberto's word. Do a bit of easy and quick research and you will see that Tobermory is, while still priced as a tourist trap (which it is), does not have to be anything like what has been painted above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom