Cruise Line excursions Vs. setting it yourself...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MM2Carty

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I would like that thank the developers and Moderators of this site. I have been a member for all of about 24 hours and in the process have had more of my questions answered by your postings (specifically referring to dive computers) and responses than in the last 6 months of researching in other locations. Members also seem to like Leisure Pro. So, again thank you.

I do have a question however... I will be taking my first Cruise this x-mass and will be traveling between Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and the Grand Cayman. I have done a little reading in reference to what dive excursions are directly affiliated with the cruise line, Norwegian, but they seem pretty generic. Is it worth searching out any of the local dive tours on my own? Do most of these affiliated dive tours offer equipment rental as a package deal, or by the piece that is needed? Such as I will need to rent a pressure gauge and a bottom timer, but I have everything else.

I will be diving alone, so I unfortunately will need to buddy up with someone I don't know.

Thanks again,

mm2carty

I have done cruise diving both on the "boat-arranged" shore excursions and by setting up my own. Here is my take on the pros and cons of both.

The biggerst advantage of booking through the cruise line is that you won't get left behind if there is a problem with getting back to the boat on time. This is no small advantage because the boat WILL leave you. If you are willing to get yourself to the next port and your "partner" is willing to have you miss one night of shipboard activities, then it is not a problem.

The shore excusion dives will probably be a little to a lot less interesting than the dives you set up yourself. It is hard to predict. I have had very nice dives on the shore excursion (Aruba 4 years ago) and I have had "the dive from hell" (3 years ago on Grand Cayman). Most of the ship-arranged excusions tend to be on relatively larger boats (more than 10 divers) and to locations that make it easy to make it back to the boat on time.

If you do some research and ask questions here on this board,. you can set up your own dives by e-mail/calling the dive operations, selecting the dive op based on feedback here. If you do this, the dives will generally be better. I would recommend that you set up the dives to start as soon as you can possibly get there from the boat (works best if the dive op is waiting for you to get there from the ship and you are the last one there). That way, you can get started, do two dives, and get back to the boat in plenty of time.

I have set up my own diving with Neptune's Divers in GC (caymancasey here on this board) and with Alison Dennis (www.scubawithalison.com) in Cozumel. They are both first class operations which will give you all the diving you want and still get you back on time.

Setting up your own dives is about the same price as the shore excursions so you won't save much (if any) money by setting up your own.

There are lots of people here on the board who have done it both ways and you will get lots of help.

Have fun diving.

Rich

Welcome to Scubaboard! Use the search function to look for previous threads on this subject. It is a very common question and has been addressed many times.

By the way have fund on the Norwegian Cruise Line. I did that itinerary last year and would say as follows:

Arrange your own diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Skip the dive in Belize.

Use the ship op in Roatan.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you for the kind words.

Here's an orientation to cruise ship diving & dive op sugestions. It's an edited piece from my July '00 "Dive Workshop" column of "Rodales' Scuba Diving:"

"Cruise ships are seen by many divers as despoilers of the both the environment & culture at their ports of call. The situation in Cozumel in particular is regularly lamented on several scuba bulletin boards. Nevertheless, cruising is among the fastest growing segments of the travel industry, and bigger & fancier ships are regularly launched, and new piers constructed.

These floating megaresorts generally offer scuba diving as one of many activities, but rarely is it a focal point. This places them the most removed of water borne diving, with dedicated dive live-aboards being at the top. Between these two are the smaller boats operated by the likes of the Windjammer & Law fleets, which cater to those wanting some serious diving, but also a relaxed atmosphere and other diversions. Cruise ships do afford some advantages, however, such as allowing: (1) groups with nondiving members to vacation together; (2) the diver to screen a number of locations cost-effectively and with relative ease; (3) divers who are not into a trip of hard core diving to get an N2 fix; & (4) a convenient venue for a resort course or OW certification--anything beyond this will be conduced by the shore ops.

If you decide to cruise & dive, you can: (1) go with a traditional ship and let them make the arrangements; (2) do the same but arrange for your own diving; or, (3) select a ship specifically oriented toward diving. If diving with an op arranged by the ship, it may be selected based on it's ability to adhere to the ship's schedule, the amount it kicks back, and other factors not related to getting the best diving. If good diving is a priority, you often will be best served by making your own arrangements prior to the cruise. This can require some effort due to the ship's need to keep a tight schedule. It may dock after most dive boats have gone out in the AM, and may depart before others return in the PM. In addition, cruise ship piers are often some distance from the areas where the best diving is located. Definitely make advanced booking if you decide to select your own op.

Princess, Celebrity and Windstar are among your best choices in dive oriented lines. On board dive centers have instructors, and offer at least a resort course, with other certs handled by the on shore op. They endeavor to get you to the better sites with the better shops at any particular port of call, although for very experienced divers they often are not the most advanced sites or personalized ops. Dive gear is typically available on board, and, if not, can be obtained from the local shop. Some ships include gear in the price of the dives, typically $80-90 for a two tank trip, but some charge for rental. Best to check beforehand if looking to save a few bucks, but remember that schlepping your gear from room to shore op everyday, and storing/drying it your cabin, can be a hassle. Also, some ships have odd rules, such as wanting a logbook as well as c-card, or requiring a refresher a course if you haven't dived a while.

Bottom line is, cruise ships are not dedicated dive venues, and will not satisfy those who want nothing but dive, dive, dive or advanced diving. They do, however, provide an opportunity to get in a few dives and several locations while enjoying the other amenities of this type of vacation."

If you decide to arrange your own, the following have reputations for working around cruisers schedules: in Coz, Dive With Martin http://www.divewithmartin.com/ (right at cruise dock) & and Papa Hog's http://www.papahogs.com in GC, Off the Wall Divers http://www.offthewalldivers.com in Belize contact Gaz at Dive Belize http://www.divebelize.com/ and tell him thatg I sent you.; in Roatan Anthony's Key Resort http://www.anthonyskey.com (may already contract with your ship).

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

I checked out a few of the web site that you listed and found that OffTheWall.Com is out of Lakeland, FL. Did you put this one in by mistake? Thank's for the heads-up and putting the article in as well. DO you have another referal for GC?

I leave a week from today and will be aboard the Voyager of the Sea, diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have used both the ship's dive operator and arranged my own in the past. This time I have arranged to dive with operators I have used in the past from other cruises, and I have found that I get a wonderful dive experience. By the way I will be using Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel and Neptune Divers in Grand Cayman.

bobart, I also will be diving with Neptune on the 21st. Do you have any contact info for Eagle Ray in Cozumel??

Back
Top Bottom