Cruise Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truck1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know off hand, who Disney Cruise Line, contracts with for their certified dives on Grand Cayman Island?
TIA

Thank you. I am trying to work around Disneys outrageous price and inilexibilty for divers.When I did the 4 day to Nassau in August, they wanted to charge me 140 for a 2 tank dive with SC with or without gear. When I called SC, SC couldnt accomodate me because of the ship I was on. I had to book thru Disney. The only way I could get around it was to walk a few blocks away call SC,and say come get me.At some point, you have to balance is it really worth walking a few blocks and spending money for a 45 minute taxi ride, or finding another operator/waiting to fly back.

You probably don't want to book with Red Sail then, they have large boats and limit bottom time by using 72's.

A lot of the Cayman diveops pick up all along Seven Mile Beach. Some of them will also pick you up just a short walk from the cruise port. I don't know which ones anymore but several that are recommended here often are: Neptune's Divers, Ambassador Divers, Off the Wall, Wall to Wall and Indigo Divers. And there's a couple dozen more. Most of the diveops can be found here: Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

Don Fosters is just south of the port within walking distance - they do the bulk of the cruise traffic though. I'm not a big fan of big boats with lots of divers on them so no comment other than that.

Also it's theoretically possible to do 2 AM dives followed by a Stingray City dive if you're there all day - and get off the boat early enough. Unless things have changed recently, Georgetown is a tender port, the ships all moor out in the harbor.

You'll be driven to the sound and board a boat for the short ride to SRC. It's really a lot of fun getting mauled by the Stingrays. There's a dive and also a snorkel, the dive is in 15' for about 45mins. the snorkel you're at the Sandbar nearby and can stand up. Non-divers can also snorkel on the dive with some ops. We had a family on our trip, the parents dove while the kids snorkeled around us.

Dives to do on the west side of the island: Trinity Caves, Big Tunnel, Orange Canyon.

If your plan is to shoredive:

I thought Eden Rock was very tired - lots of junk dropped from ships in the harbor, not very deep - all we hit was about 40' - a cruise ship will be sitting just offshore there all day so it takes a beating being walking distance from the cruise port. And in some places a long swim over sand between coral formations. The Grotto (same location) is supposed to be more interesting, some overheads etc.

Sunset House is a 2min cab ride away in South Georgetown. It'a an AI resort but you can shoredive there, boat dive with them, get lunch at My Bar - the divers spot and tour the Cathy Church Photo Gallery in the main house. The Amphitrite Mermaid is there in 55'

Great. Thanks. I am going to try and talk to the op that is contracted for Disney and see what they say, then go to plan b if I have to.Which would be using a different op or shore dive etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom