Cruise Ship Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glimmertwins

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an experienced diver, but have never gone on a cruise. This will change in November when I go on Princess to St. Maarten, Grand Turk and St. Thomas. Should I arrange the dives myself or through the cruise line? If the answer is to do myself, any suggestions on operators in those locations?

Thanks! Jeff

I once took a cruise and asked that same ques., the answer was book your own. Its been over 5 years and I don't remember who I booked with. I booked my own dives which went without a hitch.
The things I liked were:
not so many divers on the dive boat., more experienced divers., we got back to port in plenty of time to take a tour here and there.

things I didnt like:
we were not in the best locations for the best diving offered on the Islands., we had some rude DM's on St.Thomas., I usually like to explore an Island and choose the areas that I think might be great for diving and this is not possible while connected with a cruise line even though you didn't choose their dive ops.

Welcome to the board!

Of the places you are going only Grand Turk really appeals to me, don't miss the dives there.

Last edited:
I worked on St Maarten for 6 months and I wouldn't say it is the best diving in the world, but the Proselyte Reef is very nice and worth a couple dives. The surface conditions routinely suck... average 3-4' chop, but the reef is very vibrantly alive (or was 6 months ago when I was last there)

If you have any extra time on St Maarten... as in if it is a terminal stop for your cruise... try to get over to Saba. If you are that close to Saba, you HAVE to try!!! The diving there is seriously WORLD class, and it is only a 40 minute ferry ride away.

Either way, I recommend you speak with Vinny at Aqua Mania - ...just add water! He is the ONLY person there who REALLY, TRULY knows everything about both Saba and St Maarten. I know ALL the operators on the Dutch side, and he is one of only two operators I would trust sending a friend or family out with. If you want, I will give you his personal email... just PM me

I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH to make whatever efforts you can to dive on Saba. You will thank yourself. I have worked on 2 different caribbean liveaboards, and the sites on Saba were arguably the best of either itinerary. When the Viz is good to excellent, the diving there really is all that.

Please keep in mind that ALL dive operators who cater to the cruiseships tailor their trips to the clientele. This means that MOST offered on or through the cruise lines will be McDonalds style... but the one major benefit they do have is that some cruise lines may delay departure if an excursion booked through them is late. If you go on your own and for what ever reason you cannot get back to the boat on time, you are in the poop big time. I have heard of people getting left behind and having to fly to meet the boat at the next stop.

Best of luck... and enjoy the trip

To dive at Grand Turk you should contact Mitch Rolling at Blue Water Divers. They will pick you up at the ship, take you diving and have you back in plenty of time. Mitch is the doyen of the dive business on Grand Turk and most of the other operators at one time apprenticed with him.

I'm an experienced diver, but have never gone on a cruise. This will change in November when I go on Princess to St. Maarten, Grand Turk and St. Thomas. Should I arrange the dives myself or through the cruise line? If the answer is to do myself, any suggestions on operators in those locations?
Thanks! Jeff

The cruise ship dives generally go to really beat up areas. This is a good thing since there are always a few divers in the group that kick the crap out of everything, and taking them to areas that are already ruined prevents further damage.

If you have enough time on the island, book your own. If you don't, go with the ship. They're expensive, but if you don't expect much, it's actually quite pleasant just being in warm clear water and seeing a few fish.

Terry

Book on your own for sure. Its pretty rare that you wouldnt have enough time in to get 2 morning dives in as most boats are there until the afternoon. I haven't been to some of the islands you are going to but in st thomas I always book with Admiralty Dive center. They have a smaller boat so its only 6-8 people. I haven't been on any of the reefs there as I like there wrecks so thats what I always ask to do. They will pick you right up in front of the boat and drop you back off after words. I have always done there 3 tank dive and lunch and been back by 3. But no matter what I would book on my own you will get to much better spots with out a doubt.

Thanks! Jeff

Sounds like we're going on the same cruise, was going to ask this same question. At first I thought about just going with the cruise line sponsored trips but the more I think about the more I want to go out on my own, like you we've never been on a cruise either...

When do you go on your cruise?

I will be cruising Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving week and am booking my own dives versus the cruise ship (I heard they are like a cattle round up).

Dear Cod,

Are you on the Emerald Princess from 11/22 - 29? I plan on diving Grand Turk and St. Thomas, arranging my own dives.

I believe you have other postings about equipment. I would recommend looking at ScubaPro regulators, they are a litle more expensive, but very high quality, and I think it's a good idea to pay more for "life support". BCs are probably not quite as important, but it still pays to get a good one. Once again, my wife has a ScubaPro that is awesome. I have a very basic Aeris which works well.

Do you have computers?

Thanks,

Aquaboy.

Dear BoneShakin:

I think we're on the same cruise - Emerald Princess from 11/22 - 29. I plan on diving Grand Turk and St. Thomas, and arranging the dives myself.

I have some good information from other divers about operations, although I've never gone to these locations.

If you're interested in coordinating efforts, let me know.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom