Cruise Ship Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At first I thought about just going with the cruise line sponsored trips but the more I think about the more I want to go out on my own, like you we've never been on a cruise either...

Although I know this thread is a little old, I do want to provide my 2 cents as I just returned from a Mediterranean cruise.

My cruise ship, Celebrity Century, offered one dive excursion on this trip. It was for a dive trip out of Dubrovnik, Croatia. Given that I'd just received the latest Scuba Diving magazine listing Croatia among "Europe's 8 Best Dive Destinations" I booked.

The day before we arrived in Croatia, the cruise ship advised me that due to lack of participation, my dive trip was canceled.

I believe if I'd booked with reputable local dive shop I would be writing about my first dive in the Adriatic versus my canceled trip.

That is very sad, to look forward to something like that and then have it yanked out from underneath you with little time to make other arrangements.
It has been mentioned in earlier posts about Cruise Critic, and alot of snorkelers, divers, etc. find others on the same cruise and plan together on excursions. Maybe that would be something to check into next time, to ensure enough people make the excursion a sure thing.
Hope you have a great opportunity in your future!

This is an old post but what mwall04 said is common, I've been on a bunch if cruises around the Caribbean, and that has happened to me a couple of times (and I have heard) "not enough people we will cancel" and they usually tell you that morning or the night before. So go with the locals, one its most of the time cheaper and if you do some research you might have a better time and you get to pick the dive site. Meet up with the divers on the cruise see were they are going and who they are using.

NOW FOR THE CAUTION, if your late getting back to the boat...... Your on your own, DON'T expect the cruise ship to wait for you...... If your late on a cruise ship tour they will wait, if you go out and dive on your own be prepared just in case.

NOW FOR THE CAUTION, if your late getting back to the boat...... Your on your own, DON'T expect the cruise ship to wait for you...... If your late on a cruise ship tour they will wait, if you go out and dive on your own be prepared just in case.

They may or may not wait depending on a large number of factors including:

• Who is waiting for their slot at the pier
  • How much it's going to cost them in money, time and fuel if they wait
  • How many people they're missing
  • If waiting will make them late for the next port
There's no guarantee that they'll wait no matter who you dive with.

flots.

I work on a ship. depending on how long we are in a port, and if it is tendered or not, is whether or not I will book with the ship. Cozumel, I will never go with the ship. I am not a fan of their op and it's a long enough day. Grand Cayman, I like Don Fosters, so I'll book with the ship. Plus it's a tender port. Only downfall is 35 minute dives. Grand Turk, it's an early, short day and there is nothing around the port area. I also like Oasis Divers, so I book with them.

They may or may not wait depending on a large number of factors including:

• Who is waiting for their slot at the pier
  • How much it's going to cost them in money, time and fuel if they wait
  • How many people they're missing
  • If waiting will make them late for the next port
There's no guarantee that they'll wait no matter who you dive with.

flots.

Guarantees: no, but the possibility of the cruise line or dive company line covering your transportation on to your cruise's next port of call is significantly higher if their contracted operator is late returning vs Joe Cool Diving. If you are on your own, you are on your own.

If you are on their trip, then iirc they typically have a contractual obligation with the immigration for many islands NOT to leave un-wanted aliens on their sovereign soil. Its funny, but all these little twiddle de dum countries want foreigners to VISIT briefly, SPEND heavily, and LEAVE quickly... funny that?? Keep in mind that many islands' immigration laws REQUIRE a continuing or return passage be booked in your name as a condition of your acceptance onto their island. If your missing that exit is at the fault of the operation who delivered you, then they MAY be liable to that country for your removal.

When I was on a carnival cruise I booked with them for 2 two tank dives, one in couzmel and one in grand cayman, im glad i booked through them because someone had a heart attack on the boat the first day and the boat turned around and we never got to go to the caymans so they refunded me the dive in grand cayman and changed the dates of the couzmel dive, they were good about that but they ripped me off. Only taking me to couzmel with no refunds or anything.

Back
Top Bottom