Cruise ship diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchdives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:06: Going on the NCL Sun to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Would like to know if anyone has done this cruise AND/OR could suggest any dive operators in these areas that cater to cruise passengers. Please no cattleboats.

Thanks

I did this cruise two years ago. We set up our own diving in Cozumel and used Aldora. We chartered our own boat for an afternoon two-tank. I believe you could do the same thing in Grand Cayman. The cruise line used Red Sail for their on board dive excursion. Definitely a cattle boat. I would start by e-mailing them and trying to arrange for a private charter. Be aware that you will only be allowed off the ship after the morning dive boats have left. This leaves you with the charter option. In Roatan the ship used Anthony's Key Resort. Highly recommended. Use the ship op for that day. In Belize they used Aqua Dives. Not recommended. I have heard that they no longer use them and may be using Hugh Parkey (sp?). Be aware that the ship anchors off Belize City and the nearest diving is an hour and a half boat ride over open water. Your a** will never be the same. The alternative is to try and arrange your own diving but that may be next to impossible given the logistics. Overall its a great cruise and a fantastic opportunity to dive four great spots.

Thanks, TD.
Do you know anything about Bananrama in Roatan? I found them on the net and they'll pick us up at the dock.

I don't know anything about them. Like I said NCL used AKR in Roatan. I would stick with them. Great op.

mitchdives:
:06: Going on the NCL Sun to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Would like to know if anyone has done this cruise AND/OR could suggest any dive operators in these areas that cater to cruise passengers. Please no cattleboats.

Thanks

I have been to these islands but on on NCL, but with RCL. I have dove twice in Cozmenl with Papa Hogs they will work with you on your dives and there won't be more than 4 persons with you. I have nothing but good things to say about them. As for Grand Cayman I have dove with Neptune Divers. They set up our dive so we could make it back to the ship in plenty of time even with time to shop in town. With Neptune Divers there were only my son and I along with the divemaster.

Enjoy your dives

I would check out Red Baron diving in Grand Cayman and Living Underwater in Cozumel.
When we were on a trip to Grand Cayman last year, using Bob Soto Divers, another cattle boat operation, I had several people recommend Red Baron Diving.

In Cozumel I have used Living Underwater on five trips. They are an excellent operation and I will be using them again starting Thursday for an 8-day trip.
They use low pressure steel 95 and 120's and you can plan on some hour plus bottom times and you will never have more than five maybe six people on the boat. Enjoy the bottled water, fresh fruit and cookies. As well as some very slow diving. You will see a lot of things the faster groups miss.

Jim
Louisiana

mitchdives:

Thanks

mitchdives:

Thanks
The best way to save on a Cruise is to use a local dive operation. Going through the ship can cost you 30-50% more.
What I usually do is to reserve (by phone or internet) with the same operator that the cruise line uses. This way, you're on the same boat as the other cruisers and you're guaranteed not to be left behind by the ship in case there's a delay in getting back for whatever reason.
This January I did this in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, cruising with Carnival.
In Grand Cayman I saved $60.00 (per person) and in Cozumel I saved $45.00 per person.
Happy Diving,
Pedro

ppbon:
The best way to save on a Cruise is to use a local dive operation. Going through the ship can cost you 30-50% more.
What I usually do is to reserve (by phone or internet) with the same operator that the cruise line uses. This way, you're on the same boat as the other cruisers and you're guaranteed not to be left behind by the ship in case there's a delay in getting back for whatever reason.
This January I did this in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, cruising with Carnival.
In Grand Cayman I saved $60.00 (per person) and in Cozumel I saved $45.00 per person.
Happy Diving,
Pedro
as long as the dive boat will wait for you if it takes much longer to get off the ship than the people who reserved through the cruise line, and for that matter you actually wind up on the same dive boat if they have more than one...

Happy Diving,
Pedro

At home a dive trip usually runs about $80-$90 and I provide all equipment incl tanks etc.

When I do a cruise and see the dive excursion is $55 - $60 and include tanks and transfers I don't feel I am being ripped off.
(of course at home its a 2 1/2 hr boat ride each way and total day excursion)

Since I am alone (for diving) on cruise, it is extremely difficult to make arrangements on my own (i believe).

Back
Top Bottom