Cruise ship diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try Red baron in GC. NCL has just been given the go-ahead to return there but isn't scheduling shore excursions.

DEEPLOU:
Since I am alone (for diving) on cruise, it is extremely difficult to make arrangements on my own (i believe).

I didn't find that to be true for me on my cruises. I am the only diver in my family and arranged almost my own dives: St.Thomas, Aruba, Curacao, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The only place I have gone with the ship's excursion was St. Marrten and that was because the ship had to tender there (Dec. 2000).

In GCM I went with Neptunesdivers and would recommend them to other cruisers because they will work with you on your scheduling.

In Coz I went with Blue XT Sea. Excellent operator. Small fast boat, really nice people, and not overly restrictive on dive profiles.

Hey Mitchdives - which date are you sailing on the Sun? I have the same itinerary, leaving November 27th. If you are on the same ship, we should hook-up for our diving. I already have Roatan diving booked with a great operator and will probably dive with EagleRay Divers in Cozumel since my preferred operators (Blue XT Sea and Aldora) are booked up when I am in port. Let me know if you are on the same sailing!

Ray

Yo Ray!

I think we're on the same ship/trip. I booked Coz, Belize thru NCL, trying to book GC thru Eden Rock (strongly recommended by my instructors) and still looking for someone in Roatan. Let me know if you want to hook up. My son (14) will be with us and also dives. I was told Belize is better thru NCL because the ship is tendered and the dive boat picks us up at the ship.

My wife and I just got back from this cruise the first week of November. Unfotunately, we couldnt go to Grand Caymans due to the huricane damage. We are staff with our local dive/travel shop, and were assisting with leading a group of 40. Currently they are using Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan and Hugh Parkey in Belize. Our experience with both was very good. The boats each held about a dozen people, and I have to admit that it was nicer having only our group on both boats. In Cozumel we booked the dive ourselves for the entire group. Being our favorite dive spot, we always dive with the same operation: Scuba Shack (owned by Roberta's Dive ECO Cozumel) www.ScubaShackCozumel.com. Over the years we have become personal friends with the owners, Robert and Roberta. They are a fairly small but excellent dive operation. Roberta even hand bakes bread each night for the next day's trips.

Also, on the ship itself (assuming its the Norwegian Sun), be sure to spend a little time early on in the sports bar. There is a waiter from India named Sailesh that if you get to know a little will treat you very well. He believes that for the price you pay for drinks, they should be GOOD drinks. And he is a lot of fun.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in a similar cruise, my wife and I are leading another group on May 22. We will be going to Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel with Royal Caribbean. Starting price is $740. If anyone is interested, call our shop owner, Bobby, at 888-428-4FUN (4386) www.adventurecruiseplanners.com

Going on a Carnival Western Carib cruise with a large group. 5 divers in the group and I was able to book private charters in Coz and G Cayman for less money than we would've been charged through carnival. All arrangements were made very easily via email/paypal. The operators were very aware of the ships schedule. Without a doubt, the way to go. Red Baron in GC and Blue Angel in Coz

Going on a cruise in May. Had thought about privite booking. I'm the only diver in my group. Going to Playa de Carmin, Coz and Belize. Ship offers dives in Coz and Belize. Would like to dive Playa de Carmin also. Was told by local blood service that if I leave boat at Playa, I would not be eligable to give blood for 2 years due to typhoid fever in the area. Need some guidance here please.

I was in Playa 3 years ago and there was a restriction on giving blood - I think it was 2 years. I'm ashamed to say I don't give blood that often. I stayed and dove at an all inclusive - Iberostar. You will regret missing the dive if you stay on board. Life is full of tough choices...

mitchdives:
:06: Going on the NCL Sun to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Would like to know if anyone has done this cruise AND/OR could suggest any dive operators in these areas that cater to cruise passengers. Please no cattleboats.

Thanks

This is great info!! I'm doing the exact same cruise with my Family the week of Feb 26th on NCL Sun. Please let me know if you are going before then so I can follow-up with you after your cruise to see how you made out. OK to PM you to compare notes??

My dilema is I have my family that isn't interested in diving so I can probably get maybe one or two 1/2 days of diving at most so I can spend "quality time" with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom