Crystal River and Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Well I had the whole boat to myself, yes it was a commercial boat and yes everyone was wining about the early time but when we hit the springs and the number of manatee the winning stoped. Untill we came out of the water to the 40F air temps then we froze. We literaly got back into the water to warm up.

BTW the water temp in the florida springs are the same year round. They are feed from underground rivers that flows down the us and dumps into florida so the subterranian enviroment cools it, but it's warmer than the ocean is.

Another thing they may have neglected to tell you is tarpoon and other 'saltwater reef fish' (like the sheeps head) will come up river into freshwater enviroments.

Did you noticed the barnicles growing on some and not others? This is one of the key differences in the freshwater and saltwater enviroments they trek into.

Also in the same area you'll find lots of fossils.

Ed

Florida spring temp's will be a constant 72F year round, they feed directly from the aquifer.There's not enough difference between the Gulf and Spring temp right now for the Manatees(in large numbers) to be in the river. We like to be there by daylight and drift back down the river with them. Makes a nice trip. BTW I think the Rainbow River is one of the best dives in Florida. :tree:Bob

Hello,

Well put. You need to catch it on a VERY VERY cold am and get up around 4:30 to 5:00 am and be on the way out to the springs as the sun comes up. The key is EARLY am and COLD. However some manatee's will stay in the freshwater areas year round.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom