Crystal River - Kings Spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reebok

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend and I are planning a trip to Kings Spring this coming Thursday (Nov 1). As I was browsing through posts on the forum, I see multiple posts about the poor vis and water quality. However they seem to be most from 2009 or so. Is this still the case? Any other suggestions? FWIW, I live in Lakeland and he lives in Pinellas county. We are staying away from the coasts. Thanks.

Rainbow River is gin clear. Its not very deep but a very fun drift dive to do at least once. You can dive with America Pro or Bird's or rent a kayak and paddle upstream and drift back. This river is completely spring fed except when excess rain runoff gets into it. Rainbow River is 20-30 minutes from King's Cavern in the Crystal River.

The Crystal river is anything but Crystal clear. I still think King's cavern is worth diving once, but I'd want to do it with a guide. You have to find the entrance in the river and that entrance is in the area that is roped off for snorkeling manatee encounters.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying we can't go up there, rent a jon boat and dive the (kings) spring? We were planning on getting there around 11, as it seemed most of the manatee tours are back by then. We were tossing Paradise around, but I'm not sure about such an overhead environment.

Yes you can rent a boat with no problem. King springs usually has some vis until a bunch of divers hit it. I did many a dive there years ago it was always fun. Try to avoid the crowds. Catfish Corner and 3 sisters are also fun to explore.

Thanks guys. I misunderstood the first reply but I've got it now.

A friend and I are planning a trip to Kings Spring this coming Thursday (Nov 1). As I was browsing through posts on the forum, I see multiple posts about the poor vis and water quality. However they seem to be most from 2009 or so. Is this still the case? Any other suggestions? FWIW, I live in Lakeland and he lives in Pinellas county. We are staying away from the coasts. Thanks.

I would like to hear how this turned out. I live in Gainesville (about an hour away) My roommate and I are planning to go in the next two weeks. So far our plan is to put in our canoe at Hunters Spring, canoe to 3 sisters then down to kings spring (if I can find it) and then up to catfish corner and back over to Hunters.

Is this too much paddling/diving for a day trip? How is the visibility now? Can anyone who has actually been there suggest a better organized plan?

Hello,
We decided to go to Blue Grotto instead. It was a fine dive, and right next door to devil's den if you're interested in that.

Swampy, it can be done, but Catfish Corner and King Spring are quite aways apart. 3 sisters is up a channel almost mid way between the first two.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom