CSSP Sat 3/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like a pretty good crowd there--I wish I could have joined y'all--how was the diving?

Sorry for the rambling post below....I'm tired.

Billyparker1 and BCleatus were diving wet, so they went before me, Korvette and Rakpix (mainly due to me running my head too long, hence taking too long to set my gear up and that bright sunshine warms up the neoprene quickly! LOL.

Billyparker1 mentioned in his post on conditions that his computer read low 50's. Mine never dropped below 59F at 30'. Above the thermocline at the training platform, we were reading 62-64 degrees.

Anyway, Bcleatus had to leave after dive 1 and Billyparker1 left as well (sorry Bill, I did not realize that you were leaving or I would have said adios and safe driving...I thought you were just warming up on a long surface interval).

So, Korvette, Rakpix and I did 2 more training dives (Rakpix was taking most of the video....man, do I have a lot of work to do).

The bad news? As Billyparker1 also mentioned, the vis was bad. I'm guessing the heavy rain this week took its toll. We could barely see across the training platform (8') at certain points, but it was mainly 5' of vis. When I was running the video camera I couldn't hover in the middle of the platform and follow Rakpix as he demonstrated kicks around the perimeter. I had to move to keep him in video. :(

Regardless, it was still a fun day of diving and that pretty much beats anything else.

Billyparker1, Bcleatus, Korvette, Rakpix.....gentlemen, I enjoyed it. :)

Cyp

Thanks for everyone that showed up. It was fun diving and hanging
out with y'all. Good times. It was fun. And to someone considering
going to CSSP don't let the vis reports scare you. It's still fun. Just
go slow so you don't lose your buddy in them murk. The weather
was nice yesterday when you surfaced it doesn't take long
to dry off and warm up. It wasn't cold diving if you are properly
equipped. I was using a 5mm suit (including head, boots, and
gloves) and I was just fine. Everyone else was 7mm or dry suits
and no one had any issues with the chilly water. If you don't
have at least a 5mm you can rent one (or thicker) from most
dive shops for a reasonable price and try it out if you have an
insatiable itch to dive.

Thanks for the report fellows. Sounds like the water is getting nice.

Thanks for the report fellows. Sounds like the water is getting nice.

Yeah, I was hoping to see you and your boss out there, Grant. :D

The water temp is getting up into your range now. I'm going to tentatively say that I will be there this coming Saturday. I've got a business trip that could turn into an extended trip in the middle of this week that might keep me from going.

That said, my business trip is in West Texas......and I would love to go to Balmorhea one day of that week, but finding a buddy mid-week in the middle of nowhere is difficult at best! LOL.

Safe dives,

Cyp

Yep...I bought a 7 mil FS here on SB Saturday. That'll have me prepared for cool water. I've been using a triple layer of wetsuits but it is a pain to do it that way. I may be able to make it out Saturday.

It was nice meeting everyone and I look forward to doing it again. Maybe next time I can stay longer than 10 minutes! Lol

Billy was right about the viz though, you could loose sight of a buddy pretty quickly if you weren't paying attention.

If anybody plans on heading out there this weekend let me know.

So far it appears that I will be able to return home from Midland/Odessa this Thursday; therefore, I will definitely be diving CSSP or an area dive spot this weekend. :)

Cyp

Yeah, I was hoping to see you and your boss out there, Grant. :D

The water temp is getting up into your range now. I'm going to tentatively say that I will be there this coming Saturday. I've got a business trip that could turn into an extended trip in the middle of this week that might keep me from going.

That said, my business trip is in West Texas......and I would love to go to Balmorhea one day of that week, but finding a buddy mid-week in the middle of nowhere is difficult at best! LOL.

Safe dives,

Cyp

FYI-
03/25/2012 - NOTICE OF POOL CLOSING. As of Sunday afternoon, March 25, the natural spring lake (pool) is closed until further notice. Some swimmers have experienced bites causing skin itching from an unknown source in the pool. TPWD is sampling and studying all aspects of the possible source and will update this page when the pool is reopened.
03/19/2012 - The pool will be closed for cleaning and maintenance from Monday, May 14 through Monday, May 21.
03/11/2011 - The Park is currently under a burn ban. Only charcoal & containerized (i.e. propane) fires are allowed for cooking.

Back
Top Bottom