Cuba trip suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so anyone know any? Also any suggestions on travel agents that organize trips down to Cuba? Location suggestions? Time suggestions?

Come on people, help please!

Well, I went to the pre-trip briefing last night with the travel agent and the rest of the group that is going to Cuba this week-end.
Just a couple of details.
We have to leave our mobile phones at home otherwise they will be impounded by Cuban customs.
Cleared up the business of the exchange rate. 1US$ will get us 0.9CUC while 1Euro will exchange to 1.25CUC. So for anyone that doesn't have US$ as their native currency it's better to take Euros.
Apparently they are very tight at Cuban customs on controlled medicines and they told us you have to carry the doctor's prescription to prove that you should be carrying them. This however is impractical. Where I live, when you go to the pharmacy to fill out the prescription, in these cases the prescription is retained by the pharmacy. So there are a couple of people running around today to get new prescriptions from their doctors so they can take their medicine into Cuba.

I was in Cuba from mid October to mid December.
Started out diving in Varadero, but the Nortes started up so I headed to the south coast. I really enjoyed both Faro Luna and Trinidad.

We have to leave our mobile phones at home otherwise they will be impounded by Cuban customs.
This is not accurate, many tourists in Cuba had their phones with them. When you get there you can buy airtime, by prepaying, I believe.
Not all phones will work in Cuba, I'm no techie so you'll have to ask someone else why?

1US$ will get us 0.9CUC
Almost true, just me being nitpicky really. US$1.00=$1.00CUC, plus 10% commision.This means it would be more accurate to say US$1.10=$1.00CUC.

Drbill, Submariner,and Justdiveit, I'm afraid I must disagee regarding the law for US citizens. The courts in this country affirmed the right of all citizens to "travel" to Cuba, long ago. It is illegal to spend money there, without permission. This would seem to be a defacto ban on travel, and is the subject of much debate. At this time the average "administrative penalty" is about $1000.00. The vast majority of US visitors never have any problems, those that face action were usually unaware of prudent precautions. Do your homework.

I wish I could give you a more educated review of the diving in Cuba, but it was my first experience reef diving. Visibility averaged 15+ meters, I wore a wetsuit on just 3 of 45 dives.
Rental equipment in Cuba leaves much to be desired. Spare parts are worth their weight in gold there, and scuba shops are not immune.
Most people going to Cuba's beaches and dive spots choose AI resorts, and for good reason. Staying at AIs and using tour ops, you can visit Cuba and not even know your in a third-world country. Traveling independently requires much more work on your part, but has it's own rewards. Do your homework.

Here are some links that may be of some help, I will not list those I know are Cuban gov related.
Lonely Planet-Cuba Board
CubaTravelUS-Travel Tips
BoomersAbroad-Cuba Page
My friend that rents rooms near Trinidad
UofTexas-Links Page
TreasDept-Office of Foreign Assets Control
I strongly suggest investing in a guide book before you get too far along in you travel planning. The Lonely Planet guide served me very well, and I've heard some good things about the Moon handbook. Do your homework.

Personally, I plan to travel to Cuba much more in the future.

Go. You'll love it!:usa:

Tamas:
Ok so anyone know any? Also any suggestions on travel agents that organize trips down to Cuba? Location suggestions? Time suggestions?

Tamas, I have dove in Cuba twice, both times I was staying at Varadero. Once was in December and the NE winds did not allow diving there. That is typical of the north shore from about early November to early March. If you wish to go then the south shore is a better bet for diving.

I have been checking the winds for the last few days and they have been light. :)

All dive shops like everything else in Cuba are run by the government. I think you said you were going to Cayo Coco and there are at least 3 in that area. I have heard that one is not the greatest but not sure what teh name is. A friend of mine was there for two weeks last March diving and really enjoyed it.

Just book a typical AI trip and set up your diving when you get there. Maybe dive with the local OP for a day before you sign up for a weeks diving just to check them out.

That is what I plan on doing when I go to the Holguin area on Tuesday.

My experience was that the DMs where quite adequate and very nice people.

Boat drivers are political appointments so not really into great service.

Have Fun
Gary

onlyuman:
Almost true, just me being nitpicky really. US$1.00=$1.00CUC, plus 10% commision.This means it would be more accurate to say US$1.10=$1.00CUC.

While I agree with your arithmetic in practice it's not what happens other than in banks.
Everywhere I exchanged USD in Havana and at Isla da Juventud I handed over US$100 and received 90CUC.

Tamas:

Okay! I went to Cuba last May - We went to Cayo Guillermo, right beside Cayo Coco. It was a great time to go (beginning of May), as most of the tourists came in on the long weekend, and we were fortunate enough to beat the crowd. It was absolutely incredible, and the diving was great. It was, however, very windy, and the waves were pretty hefty, but well worth it. We felt sorry for the poor snorkellers! The divemaster was great, too. We dove from the resort next to ours, and it is walking distance. Other than feeding the fish from the waves, it was a great experience. I recommend this place with the highest marks. If there is anything else you would like to know about it, just ask! Have a great time!

Last week in the Times Hareld Port Huron Michigan paper their was a local couple that that went last year and were fined $5200.00 the US is cracken down on travel to Cuba. See attachment
Ed

riverdiver:
Last week in the Times Hareld Port Huron Michigan paper their was a local couple that that went last year and were fined $5200.00 the US is cracken down on travel to Cuba. See attachment
Ed

If you read through this thread you will see that most of us are not from the USA and are free to travel where we want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom