Cuba trip suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
While I agree with your arithmetic in practice it's not what happens other than in banks.
Everywhere I exchanged USD in Havana and at Isla da Juventud I handed over US$100 and received 90CUC.

Right you are Mike,
I made almost all my exchanges at banks.

I'm not sure which merchants, hotels, etc. currently are, or are not accepting US$, as Riverdiver alluded to. But I can assure you that banks still accept them, as does the money exchange at Marti Airport(Havana).

OOOOHHH. I forgot to mention in my earliest post one very important, and very curious facet to all this money talk. I used American Express traveler's checks. Had no problem at Banco Finan. International in three different cities, even after the policy changes. And the best part...never paid the 10% fee that they charge for cash US$ exchanges. Only paid 3% fee, which I think they charge for any other currency.

riverdiver:
Last week in the Times Hareld Port Huron Michigan paper their was a local couple that that went last year and were fined $5200.00 the US is cracken down on travel to Cuba. See attachment
Ed

From what I've gathered third hand, at Lonely Planet's Thorntree Cuba Branch, the Mich. couple you refer to were offered the opportunity to settle pre-trial for $1,000.00. It seems they refused on moral/religious grounds, and ended up paying significantly more as a result. I wish I could say I had their moral clarity, but I confess I may not.

Tamas:
I would like to go to Cuba this year for some diving and some R&R. </p>
  • What is a good time to go? To beat the crowds, get good deals and good diving?
  • What are the prime dive locations?
  • Suggested hotels/travel bureau?
  • All inclusive or non-inclusive?
  • Any pointers?

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have gone already.

Hi Tamas,

We went to Cuba about 10 yrs ago so I know it's outdated but I think the info might still be helpful for you.

We chose Santiago do Cuba on the leeward side of the island specifically because the diving conditions were more reliable and calm. This turned out to be crucial since we had to frog roll into the water and then remove all our gear at the end of the dive before pulling ourselves back into the "dive boat" (a 14 ft skiff).

The divemaster had to get written approval each morning of our dives from the military security at the marina and we were told there was no guarantees. Having said that, we didn't have any problems except for one day because we were told they had caught some Cuban refugees that morning. The coral reefs were pristine and we saw things we have not seen anywhere else. It is probably some of the best and most economical diving we have ever done.

We went with an all-inclusive resort and enjoyed it but I know there were quite a few Americans (yes, there were Americans there!) staying at the resort who were very unhappy with the food and drinks. It was basically Cuban style cooking with lots of stewed meats, Mexican rice, and black beans. There was also the usual variety of fresh tropical fruits and salad bar. Beverages included rum drinks and local beer. Of course, you could pay extra for other alcoholic drinks, as well buy burgers and pizza on site, but it seemed kind of silly to me as they were charging higher prices in US then we would pay back home.

The Cuban people were genuinely friendly to us and were always courteous and polite. They all had access to free education and free health care, but they all expressed that they were underpaid for relatively basic needs for their families. If you can, bring along old t-shirts and shorts to give away, as well as candy and gum for the kids, and they will really show you their appreciation in their hospitality. They were also very grateful when we tipped for good service as opposed to the North American required 15% gratuity that is expected regardless of quality of service.

The rooms were very basic but clean... maybe a 2 1/2 star rating, but do divers really care?

We bought a box of Cuban cigars (Cohibas) to give away back home and we were told other people have basically paid for their trips to Cuba by selling the cigars when they got back!

I hope you have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom