curacao any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least on Curacao there are said to be some sites with facilities, such that theft is thought to be less likely than at isolated sites with no one else around. Or so I've gleaned from other's reports.

Is there a list of Curacao dive sites breaking them down between those that are relatively secure (e.g.: parking lot, in plain site or security or such) vs. those where you're on your own?

Richard.
There are security guards at major beaches like Lagoon, Jeremi etc but they work 9 to 5, Caribbean time. If you shore dive outside this window, you are at great risk. But not to worry, folks at AlWest keep a stash of the rear door (driver's side) windows to replace them promptly.

The list where there are NOT some sort of on-site facilities is a much shorter list.

Playa Jeremi
Kleine Knip
Tugboat - if the school is closed again
Director's Bay
The ex- Sunset Waters site (Cessna)
orobably all the east coast sites - IDK
Boca Sami?
Maybe Snake Bay?
Playa Manzalino

not a complete list....

At several locations the on-site operator told us they'd watch our vehicles when we rented from them. At some the parkng is between the shop and the beach.

Since some of the sites are some distance off the main road - unlike south Bonaire - the more remote sites tend to be quieter.

I had a funny feeling of being watched once or twice on Bonaire - never on Curacao - sites are more open so easier to spot someone loitering around. Also many are also public beaches so there's frequently non-dive traffic.

Last edited:
If you shore dive outside this window, you are at great risk
I completely disagree with this hysteria..my friends wife is a native dive guide who lived there most of her life. She said the only bad place was near the port at night.

I completely disagree with this hysteria..my friends wife is a native dive guide who lived there most of her life. She said the only bad place was near the port at night.
You can agree or disagree, but during our last one week stay at AlWest 2 of their trucks were broken into, including ours. So my info is firsthand, not some "friend of a friend said something" stuff. Needless to say, a local dive guide is an interested party.

sounds like the theft is just as prevalent as on bonaire. it is a shame they dont do more to curb it.
I was thinking the exact same thing and think theft is worse in Curacao,3 seperate instances of theft in my large group...

I was thinking the exact same thing and think theft is worse in Curacao,3 seperate instances of theft in my large group...
Where were you staying/diving?

I've spent ~ 4 weeks on Curacao in two trips and never had an issue. All my diving was North of Boca Sami. In fact, the car rental agency I used, insisted that we lock the car.

Where were you staying/diving?

I've spent ~ 4 weeks on Curacao in two trips and never had an issue. All my diving was North of Boca Sami. In fact, the car rental agency I used, insisted that we lock the car.
one friend truck got broken into at Directors Bay- another the following day at Tug Boat. Also The Dive Bus truck got broken into at Superior Producer site where 3 of my friends were getting DM guided. We had no problems at all on West Dife (Westpunt)

Needless to say, a local dive guide is an interested party.
Except she's lived here since about 2010 although her mom still lives there and they own a rental there so go back regularly.

We were also told to lock vehicles at the dive sites - both at the car rental counter and one of the apt's we stayed at - which btw had an 8' wall/gate and was alarmed when no guests were there - the owners had caught locals inside the property before. .And hide expensive looking stuff under the cargo cover in the suv. No incidents in 10 days and we weren't at all careful about where we parked.

The closest thing was one night downtown (in kind of a crappier area) a local volunteered to "watch" the suv for a fee so it didn't get broken into. We didn't buy it and nothing happened.

You don't see the public warnings like on Bonaire though. IDK if that's because they do a better job of suppressing it or there;s less crime per capita.

otoh, I was told to remove everything we wanted to keep once - at a very public beach on Maui...

Last edited:
I think the fee to "watch the car" is a longtime ongoing scam. Ran into that many years ago, we just told them to get lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom