Curacao Dive Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a1parrothead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I know this has been asked and answered a hundred times, and I have just spent the better part of 2 hours reading the threads, but......
I was on Bonaire last summer. This summer I want to shore dive Curacao. Are the dive sites marked like on Bonaire? DOES ANYONE KNOW A LINK TO A GOOD DIVE SITE MAP?(I have found some, but they only show a few sites) Are they far apart? Is the best shore diving to the West? Is there drive-in type tank refills like Bonaire?
And probably most important to me- I want to stay in a location that is best for driving and diving the shoreline. I do not want a resort, just a nice clean room for 4 people. I definatily do not want an urban experience. I thought Kralendijk on bonaire was a nice town, and not to terribly big.
It was easy to drive the sites of Bonaire. Not that far between sites and easy to locate. Is Curacao similiar?
Thanks, Jeff

We are going back for the 4th year in a row to Curacao. I am convinced the shore diving here is the best. Easy Entry and great reefs. The sites are marked by painted red rocks with dive flags on them. Here is a site I really like for info about the sites: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands Check the forums for ABC Island info. oh and if you need help pm me. I do recommend the Dive Bus and Carribean Sea Sports. Top notch people and operations

Hi Jeff,

Try this link: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands

Beach diving in Curacao is the way to go and how most of the diving is done.
There are only a couple of sites [Mushroom Forest, Watamula] where you need a boat. Shore diving is good all along the south coast - from the east, through the centre and on down to the west point.

Like Bonaire, Curacao is small and all sites are within a 45 minute drive. Gas stations sell an excellent local map that has all diving sites. Many sites are close to each other so you can go to a beach in the morning, have lunch, and then drive 10-15 minutes to another beach for the afternoon dive.

Many hotels have dive shops were you can get tanks and rent other equipment. The Marriot shop offers Nitrox. As well, many beaches have great dive shops: Blue Bay, Porto Marie, Vaersen Baai, Jan Thiel and many others [can't remember them all - there's lots]. Places like Porto Marie and Vaersen Baai are popular with Dutch and European divers so you'll be able meet people from all over, which is fun. If you are uncomfortable with not knowing a locale, you'll be able to 'tag along' or follow a group diving at these locations. Also, many beaches have great snack bars, cafes, restaurants, change rooms, showers and a lively scene, so it's a lot of fun even when you're not diving.

There are many non-resort apartments that you can stay at, but I'm not familiar with them as my family lives in Curacao and I stay with them. :D I see a lot of people on the site mention the All West Apartments. Your best bet is to search all the messages in the ABC Islands board where you'll read many reviews of non-resort accommodations.

Regards, Johanna

Hello all,
I know this has been asked and answered a hundred times, and I have just spent the better part of 2 hours reading the threads, but......
I was on Bonaire last summer. This summer I want to shore dive Curacao. Are the dive sites marked like on Bonaire? DOES ANYONE KNOW A LINK TO A GOOD DIVE SITE MAP?(I have found some, but they only show a few sites) Are they far apart? Is the best shore diving to the West? Is there drive-in type tank refills like Bonaire?
And probably most important to me- I want to stay in a location that is best for driving and diving the shoreline. I do not want a resort, just a nice clean room for 4 people. I definatily do not want an urban experience. I thought Kralendijk on bonaire was a nice town, and not to terribly big.
It was easy to drive the sites of Bonaire. Not that far between sites and easy to locate. Is Curacao similiar?
Thanks, Jeff

I've dove both within the last 3 years so my comparison/contrast:
Are the dive sites marked like on Bonaire?
Not as well. Most are marked with a sign or a Red rock off the nearest main road. It's different than Bonaire as the dive sites are several blocks to maybe a mile or two from the main road. From the turnoff it's pretty hard to get lost, in a week of all day diving we only made one wrong turn.
DOES ANYONE KNOW A LINK TO A GOOD DIVE SITE MAP?
This one was helpful: Powell's Books - Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao (Insight Fleximaps) by Insight The map Chachita referred to is just as good - there was one tacked up on the wall of my condo.
Are they far apart?
Farther than you'd expect. Unlike Bonaire south of town where everything runs along the shore road, on Curacao almost all the western sites require you to drive out to the main road, down a short distance and then back to the water. If you wanted to dive two sites that look close on the map, in reality it's probably 15-30 minutes apart. The one exception we found was that Porto Marie is about 5 minutes from Habitat on the same road.
Is the best shore diving to the West?
I thought so. At least west of Piscadera Bay. But we didn't do any diving anywhere off Willemsted except for the Tugboat to the east of town. I thought the best dives were at Varsenbaai, Habitat's Reef and Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland off Kura Hulanda. Playa Jeremi was the only site we dove with no facilities so bring tanks and water.
Is there drive-in type tank refills like Bonaire?
Habitat has a drive-up tank fill in their parking lot. We rented tanks there for Porto Marie but found out you can get them on-site. At Sunset Divers you can drive down and park at the diveshop. I'm not sure if you can take tanks off Sunset Waters property unless you're a guest.

We rented tanks from a diveop at Playa Lagun, park and load. We kept them 2-3 days and exchanged as needed, it's just off a main road.

We also rented from Hook's Hut in Piscadera Bay, 50' carry to the parking lot. Good place for lunch between dives also.

What's different on Curacao is that most of the dive sites - especially in the West - have a dive operation on-site. And require you to pay a small fee for use of their facilities/dive dock. Most also rent tanks/weights and other gear on-site.
And probably most important to me- I want to stay in a location that is best for driving and diving the shoreline. I do not want a resort, just a nice clean room for 4 people.
That's a tough call. Maybe Habitat or Sunset Waters. Although both looked a little tired when we dove there. They're a little better than basic though. Sunset Waters has a nice beach - none at Habitat. Of the two, I'd pick Habitat based solely on the quality of their food.

Kura Hulanda is one of the best small resorts in the world. Good restaurant and a small snackbar down by the divedock. Looked pricey...

They're all fairly remote, KH is in West Punt, probably 45mins to Willemsted or the airport. There are a few local restaurants in West Punt.

Habitat or Sunset Waters are more isolated, they're 10 mins back to any sort of local civilization - and it's not much. They're closer to Willemsted though - a 15-25 min. drive back to the Piscadera (resort) area. And the closest market - Centrum. If you plan to cook or keep food in your room, buy it at Centrum on your way out of town.
I definatily do not want an urban experience. I thought Kralendijk on bonaire was a nice town, and not to terribly big.
Willemsted is a large town, there's multiple cruise ships in the harbor daily, a large oil refinery, a deep water container port - the historic downtown area is probably the size of all of Kralendijk combined. There's 125,000 people living in Willemsted. For comparison there's 16,000 people living on all of Bonaire. The resort area near Breezes and Lion's Dive - by the Sea Aquarium is pretty nice also. But definitely in town. Piscadera Bay to the west is quieter and 10 minutes from downtown. The Marriott and Hilton are there.
It was easy to drive the sites of Bonaire. Is Curacao similiar?
The diving is very similar, reefs parallel the shore. Longer swims out to the reef off either dive docks or beaches in most areas. The cliffs on the west end are a lot taller than on Bonaire, some are 50-100' above the water. They're broken up by coves, usually with beaches. Mushroom Forest is in that area which is why its' a boat dive. One thing you will find if you boat dive is that the diveops in town tend to stay near town or east and the diveops on the west end don't go as far east as town. The exception being Ocean Encounters since they're at Lions Dive, Breezes, Kura Hulanda and elsewhere. However they may bus you to West Punt also.

Thanks everyone for the great input. As usual, you were all very informative. Thanks for all the time tou took to reply. Now I just have to work out details!
Jeff

I just want to add the following website to the already mentioned websites: Welcome to the Curacao Diving Paradise - Curacao Diving Paradise.
It contains information about almost all the dive sites that can be reached from shore, how to get there, what to expect there with respect to facilities on the beach and an impression what to expect under water. It also contains a lot of pictures and a section about the archaeological wreck in the harbor, the SS Mediator. If you want something special, you should include a dive on this wreck. It is a completely different dive from all other dives in Curacao.
Try to get the map "Drive and dive map Curacao" when you are here. Check one of the bookstores for this map and maybe also the hotels or dive operators.
I dive at least weekly on this lovely island and I try to keep the information up-to-date.
Try also the dive sites East of Willemstad. At least go to Baya Beach with the Tugboat, the steep wall and don't forget to end your dive under the pier. And check Mari Pampun, the dive site to the West of the Breezes Hotel. Also the Superior Producer (deep wreck dive) is a dive you definitely should do.

Have fun while being here.

Gustele

That's a great website! I had been on it and seen the articles on the Mediator wreck in the Anna Baai, but hadn't seen the list of diving locations.

How would you go about diving the Mediator? do any of the dive ops in the island organize dives? I'd love to see it when I'm there in March/April.

Bonaire is a shore dive with an island attached to it. If you can’t find dive sites to your heart’s content with a copy of BSDME, you should maybe consider another hobby.

Curacao, not so much. Many of its sites are easy to find. For some, you’d benefit from a little local knowledge (or a local guide). But for some, you’re gonna need a GPS, a 4WD, two native guides and a bloodhound named “Ol’ Blue”. One in particular could do with a rope ladder.

First, I’d recommend you get two maps. The “Dive and Drive” map (available locally and published by Caribbean Cartographics) shows the general location of 72 south shore dive sites (EDIT: as in located on the southern shore, which is not to say all are shore dive-able /EDIT). Those are pretty evenly split between the east of the island and the west (as divided by the oil port at Bullenbaai). I’d say roughly half that number are shore dive-able. Of those that are not, in the west it’s more likely to be because the shore is just plain inhospitable. There is a water taxi guy who operates (IIRC) out of Lagun who can get you to the shore-inaccessible sites, but I hear he’s not as reliable as he used to be. In the east, there’s quite a bit of privately held shoreline you aren't supposed to get on.

As for which end has the better diving, I’d have to give the nod to the west. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t any eastern sites on my “don’t miss” list. FWIW, my #1 don’t miss site, Superior Producer, is in the east. IMO, if you want to see the best shore diving the island has to offer, you have to dive both ends.

The second map is Berndston Map’s “Curacao” (available online, ISBN 3-89707-501-6). It’s a far better road map than the Drive and Dive map, which shows precious little “small road” detail.

As for accommodations, the island has concentrated the lion’s share of its resources and its people around the central harbor. But once you’re outside Willemstad, it’s slim pickens. There’s little apart from resorts that lives up to American standards for comfort and cleanliness.

That said, the Clarion Hotel is on Piscadera Bay, very near the Marriott. It’s a very nice place (not merely ‘decent&#8217:wink:, and almost brand new. But they built two wings only to discover they can’t anywhere near fill the first. I drove past it today and every window in the second wing is still wide open, indicating that entire wing is still unoccupied. What that means to you is low rates. I spent three weeks there when I first arrived and I think it’s the nicest modestly-priced hotel here. It is close to town (five minutes by taxi to Otra Banda) but doesn’t have many restaurants nearby (not even the small, SRO ‘informal’ local cuisine restaurants called ‘snacks&#8217:wink:.

From The Clarion and Piscadera, it’s a short drive to Superior, Double Reef, Blue Bay’s house reef, Snake Bay, Boca Sami, Vaersenbaai and Pestbaai.

From Piscadera, figure 15 minutes drive time to Atlantis Diving and their house reef, which is the first named site to the east past the central harbor (except for the wreck of the Mediator, which is an “archaeological dive site” in the harbor itself). Director’s Bay and Small Wall are about the furthest east you can shore dive without risking being arrested for trespassing. Figure 35-45 minutes drive time from Piscadera.

I’ve been clocking driving distances in the west so I can speak more positively about the distances from Piscadera. The first dive site west of the verboten zone around the oil depot is Sta. Mari. It’s Habitat Curacao’s house reef, about 22 km from The Clarion. It’s about 47 km to Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland, which is the furthest west shore diving site. If you’re not fussy about the speed limit (most here are not), you usually can average ~60 kph, which would have you arriving at Playa Kalki (house reef for Hura Kulanda) in ~50 minutes (or less, …much less).

Another option is to dive with The Dive Bus. No one else dives so many locations on both sides of Bullenbaai. They even sometimes arrange boat dives with the north shore’s lone operator. They provide transportation, tanks, help you into and out of the water and feed you between dives. And they save you the hassle of finding those out-of-the-way dive sites.

The Dive Bus also can set you up with a modest apartment. It’s probably even less expensive than The Clarion, and you can prepare your own meals, but it puts you even deeper in the heart of civilization (Curacao style).

I don’t think any dive shop will refuse to rent you tanks for shore diving. Just bring your C-Card, your MasterCard, and be prepared to fill out a few forms.

I just thought of another option: ..:: All West Apartments ::..

I've not spoken with anyone who's stayed in their apartments but I have noted them as I drove past. From the outside, they look more 'luxurious' than average and well-maintained. And they're all the way to Westpunt, so you can't get any further from "the city" without acquiring an Aruba address. There are quite a few restaurants in the community, too (snacks, mostly, but also a few sit-down places). That puts Playa Kalki at your doorstep and the furthest of the 'western' dive sites an estimated 30-35 km away.

To make a dive on the historical wreck of the SS Mediator you need to contact Stimana, phone +599 9 4652327, cellular phone +599 9 5667490 or send an e-mail to stimana at cura dot net (you know how to make an e-mail address from these parts).
Guided dives on almost every Sunday at 9:15. No other operator than Stimana has permission to dive this archaeological wreck. We need permission from the harbor authorities to dive here, but it is seldom that we don't get permission. There is a fee for the first dive on the Mediator. After the first dive you can come back for free and we can use every help with cleaning the wreck.

See you there in March/April.

Gustele

Back
Top Bottom