Curacao must-dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys. I'm not new here, so I _know_ that this is taking the lazy man's way out, but do any of you have recommendations for a few must-dive sites in Curacao? I'm heading down in early August with a couple friends and don't know much about the local dive scene yet.

Is it mostly shore diving? boat diving? are there any local conditions that I should expect to encounter (water temp, strong currents, etc?)

Any bones you could throw my way would be appreciated! I'm just starting my research, so I'll be back with more intelligent questions in a week or two!

Thanks - ItMustBeJames

Others with much more knowledge and information should be along shortly, but this will get you started:

The answers depend a bit on whether you are staying on the east or west side of the island and what you are interested in seeing.

There are a few wrecks, a lot of shore dives, some boat dives.

If you look at the Dive Bus Website

The Dive Bus - HOME

and Curacao Actief

Curaçao Actief

and Ocean Encounters' site

Curacao Padi Scuba Diving - Ocean Encounters Curacao

you will get a lot of questions answered. My apologies to anyone I have omitted.

Most of the diving is shore diving but there are sites that can be done by boat or shore and some nice dives that can only be done by boat.

Generally little current, summer water temps around 80 degrees.

One thing to be aware of is that the drive from one end of the island to the other is a bit long, so it is hard to cover the entire island in a single dive trip unless you change lodging while there or stay for at least a couple weeks.

I have only been on the west side and have never made it (yet) to the more eastern dive sites.

West side of island is more rural and quiet, fewer people, fewer restaurants, no nightlife, etc., east side is around or at least closer to the main city of Willemstad and therefore more populated and busy.

Good luck in your research

ItMustBeJames,

Beside the already mentioned websites you can also look at Curacao Diving Paradise .

Most dives can be done from shore, a few are recommended by boat only.
Visibility is 60 - 80 feet. Air temperature can get up in the mid 90's and water 82-84F.

We do not have very large animals, but a lot of critters. If you come with a camera, be focused on macro.

Hi ItMustBeJames,

If you follow the links http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/273427-curacao-what-must-dives.html or http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...westpunt-includes-directions.html#post4169453, you find earlier threads on similar subjects with many answers to your questions.

I will back to the island end of July, so if you ever come near Westpoint, feel encouraged to visit me at OEW, Playa Kalki (..:: Ocean Encounters West ::..), or drop me a pm for further information.

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas

Last edited:
Will you have a car?
Any non divers ?
Do you want to haul tanks?
Boat dives vs. shore dives?
How long is your stay?

Water temp 80-82 degrees.
Strong currents are not common but there are lazy drift dives.

We stayed at Sunset Waters... and didn't really need to leave the resort (dive package included). Sunset Divers was awesome & very professional.

Some of my favorite dives:
Watamula, Mushroom Forest, Porta Marie, & Hell's Corner.

You can dive quite a few places from shore, but when the boat comes with your stay... no reason to thumb your nose at transportation.
-B

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom