Curacao Trip Report - June 20th 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you people diving in? Shorties or 3mms? Going in a month

I was there in May and used a 3mm full suit. I did 3 dives a day for 3 days and didn't get cold at all. Surface temps then were 78 and around 77 down lower (~60 feet). So whatever you prefer for that temp. Air temps and sun were nice and warm otherwise so it was easy to warm up on the beach between shore dives.

When we were there in December, water temp was 80-81 deg F. We wore 3 mm and were never uncomfortable, in or out of the water. We did 2 dives most days - sometimes 3. I probably could have gotten by with my TriLam, but my wife was happy to have her 3mm. We had friends with us that were "occasional" divers and they wore only bathing suits.

Water temp today (from the direct OEW hotline) is 79 degrees. Max in the summer is 82, maybe 83, the norm above 80. Right? without going back a page, you are coming this summer? I see very few with just swim shorts. A woman last year actually wore a dry suit! most wear 3 mils. The dive shop uses shorties for classes.

A woman last year actually wore a dry suit!

I know a guy who wore a drysuit there last year, and I - um, uh, I mean HE - will wear one again in August!

RJP.jpg

But it is a TROPICAL dry suit, so it's not like I - um, uh, I mean HE - is a wimp...

:D

Last four dives, water temp on my computer 80-82 degrees.
Aug you may see 84 and by Sept even 86.
3mm shorty is OK for a one tank dive but on a two tank boat dive
I get cold with a full 3mm and a vest.

The dry suit doesn't look so bad. N.B. however the long primary hose and bungied octo !!!!:D

To BB: let me know when you two are coming.

Sunshine,

I had a dive buddy along, so shore diving anywhere we could get to conveniently was not a problem.

It's a long story, but OE East told me about the afternoon boat dive to Watumula at OEW, and I told them to book it for us on any day. They called OEW for me and were told they didn't have an afternoon boat dive, so I didn't pursue it any further.

On our last day on the island, I dropped in at OEW just to look around and saw the afternoon boat dive listed on the board. I asked about it and was told there hadn't been any demand for it (probably because people were doing the morning dives instead) and it hadn't gone out all week, except for the snorkeling trip.

The clear, flat water and beach at Playa Kalki are beautiful. It is night and day compared to anything close in to Willemstad. I wish I had gone that far out west earlier in the week.

As far as activities for non-divers on Roatan vs Curacao, I guess I need to qualify that. It depends on what interests you. When you list all the available things to do in each place, my non-divers found more things that rang their bell in Roatan than Curacao. Even so, they were still busy all day, every day. They definately were not bored.

Still, if you decide to come back to Curacao, give those on the island fair warning, I mean a heads up :wink: and maybe one of us will show you some of our favorite dive sites. May you have clear waters where ever you travel!
Oh, in today's news.... travel to Honduras might not be advised in the next few weeks.... be careful.

Lee,

There is no comparison between visibility in Curacao and Oklahoma, but a discussion of that could turn into a separate thread. On a good day in an Oklahoma lake, I can see my compass six inches from my mask. It didn't used to be that way, even as recent as three years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom