Curacao wildlife report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucks to be you then! :)

Just kidding muzicgirl! :D

Okay so the sperm whales were spotted off westpunt a few days ago; the dolphins we saw again this morning outside our hut but they were gone by the time I got in for my first dive, unfortuntaley, but I'm hoping to get in the water early enough sometime soon, sort of 8.30am ish to maybe see if they want to play (Looking at you Cheddar girl!)

Think we've had a slight increase in the number of rays seen here as well - we've been seeing Eagle rays quite regularly - especially at Varsenbaai and Porto Marie.

Not seen the shark yet but we're still hopeful, and a Superior dive needs to be done soon, just in case the manta pops by again!

Also - water temperature is warming up again - 27 degrees Centigrade today! :)

Dive safe

C.

Ok I am offically,,,totally,,,,wild,,,,desperate to get to CUR
Ahhhhhhhh less than a month to go....Now If I could figure out how to get the count-down ticker in my sig line, I would know to the minute how much time is left

Hey everyone.
I just happen to come back from Curacao and its freeeezing cold here!!!
It was a wonderful trip. We stayed in Westpunt at All West Apartments and did about 35 dives in two weeks. But one thing is odd for me - i didnt see a SINGLE manta or ray in all the time!

Even at All West's House reef, which is excellent BTW, I didnt see any of them. Was a bit disappointed about that but the overall trip was AWESOME.

Sunshine thanks for all the GREAT food!! I definitely enjoyed eating the big mint iced brownie I got from you the last night before leaving!!

See pics and videos of the trip, as well as detailed directions and reviews of divespots also at my BLOG - adress comes in the signature line below.

Hi Markus,
Read your poll 1st and repiled there. Thanks for spending time with us, we're glad you enjoyed not only Curacao but Westpunt and hope to see you on a future visit. I hoped you got a loempia on your way into town.
Hugs and fishes, Sunshine

Hi Crowley

We saw an eagle ray at the car pile during a night dive two weeks ago. Probably I will be diving the car pile again during the day on Saturday (afternoon) so hopefully I will meet the shark or the dolphins or, even better, both. Tomorrow I will do a night dive at the Superior; not much chance to see a manta in the dark, but I will certainly keep you posted in case I see one.

Can you be a bit more specific where you found the seahorse at the Tugboat? Or is that an instructor's secret?

A month ago I probably could have told you where all three are and at least one of the frogfish, but the buggers keep moving which I feel is a little unfair of them all.

The sea horses are usually somewhere about 12m/40ft along the front of the reef between the pier and the tugboat itself; I've not seen them further than that. Most often I've found them at that depth between the two outside mooring platforms. I have seen four different sea horses there in the last three months - one yellow, one black and two orange (little and large) although not all on the same dive...!

The frogfish I used to find by swimming straight out and down to 18m/60 feet and turning left and then straining my eyes a lot! Mark has seen two there but I couldn't find either when I was there last week.

The sea horses at Pierbaai have been re-located after they disappeared on me two weeks ago... PHEW!

Hi all,

Yesterday afternoon I got lucky seeing 20 to 30 dolphins passing by when I was making my safety stop at Watamula :) It was the first time I saw them on a dive around Curacao or Bonaire (other than on the dolphin dive offered by Ocean Encounters and the Sea Aquarium, of course).

Markus - the week right after you left Curacao I started seeing rays again on several dives :wink: And turtles are all over the place lately...

Keep on diving, and you are bound to see good stuff!!!

Andreas
..:: All West Curacao ::..
..:: Ocean Encounters West ::..

Hi Andreas!
that is an amazing story...you are a lucky man!!

During my time on Curacao I saw plenty of turtles but I was not as lucky as you :)

But the next dive opportunities are rolling in!
Have Fun
Markus

Hi all,

Here is another story to prove that everything is possible on Curacao:

All West Apartment guests today saw a hammerhead shark shore diving at Playa Shon Mosa at a depth of 50ft/16m!!!

You don't believe it? We will shortly publish a short video stream of this ocean encounter (west). Check it out clicking on the link for the divers' talk news blog on ..:: All West Curacao ::...

Anyway, never hold your breath while SCUBA diving :wink:

Andreas

Back
Top Bottom