curious about cayman brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fb49740

Reaction score
Hello All
I am going to cayman brac on march 23 for 2 weeks I have all ready booked my stay
and diving at Divi Tiara . Any information about the island and diving from someone that has been there would be very helpful . Also prices for anything I may want to buy as I need to have an idea about how much extra cash I may want to take with me for the trip :06:

Hi,
I was there 2 years ago for 10 days. I had some great dives and I thought the staff were friendly and helpful. The island is small about 5 miles by 1.5. Its mostly covered in scrub. There are a few beaches but most if the shore is stone. There is a small sheltered beach at divi tiara. Its worth renting a car for a day and exploring the island, one afternoon should cover that. I think you can also do shore diving if you have a car. There is not much in the way of shops only a few small food stores, what were you hoping to buy ?

Doug

stay and ove at divi last Feb........ good people good diving the food is so-so and the drinks and spendy.......... not much on the island, but I know some rock climbers and it is a hot spot for them, the Divi has some bikes, rent the car for the afternoon and them borrow the bikes for something different

we dove there on the aggressor. the brac has some of the best diving in the world. vis is at least 200 +. lots of small and big fishys. very little current. never been to the brac on foot but if it like the main better have plenty of bucks for grits. we paid 30 bucks for a pizza. o well the diving will make up for it.

fb49740:
I am going to cayman brac on march 23 for 2 weeks

Okay, towards the end of the winter season. I'd probably expect mostly southside diving, which means to expect the wall dives to be a bit on the deeper side. I'd set up for Nitrox for the 1st tank.

I have all ready booked my stay and diving at Divi Tiara.

Was just there last month (again).

Any information about the island and diving from someone that has been there would be very helpful.

There's plenty of info on the Web that can be found. I'd say that the most basics are:

1. Make sure your flights are to Cayman Brac (CYB), not just to Grand Cayman (GCM).

2. Upon arrival on the Brac, remember to relax as they sort out which shuttle bus they want to put you on to take you to the Resort. Once you get loaded up, its only a 10 minute ride.

3. The Divi's dive operation generally does a good job of hand-holding if you want it (they handle your gear setups, etc), and freedom in the water if you don't. You'll get a briefing on your first day for the boat protocols...the briefings are most thorough on Sundays, as this is when most people's first day of diving is.

4. On the diveboat the first day, make sure to pay attention after you leave the dock - they run down the Bay for ~200yds, then make a left turn and go out an inlet. This inlet is almost always the roughest part of the ride and its important to be ready for it and to be holding on. You don't want to be in the middle of doing something.

5. The most general rule of thumb is that the South side of the island that the Resort is on is to prevailing windward. In the winter months, the wind shifts to be more northerly, so the odds are good of diving on the southside, but this can also make trips over to Little Cayman less favorable.

--> For a two week long visit, you should be there long enough to see a variety of weather and get to dive both sides of the Brac, plus at least a few LC trips.

--> But also note that if you get any evenings where the winds totally drop, you're probably going to have mosquito's around dinnertime.

5. Think about your food plans before you go. There aren't really any places close to the Hotel to go to (especially if you're going to do the PM dive), and picking up food at the Hotel is most expensive when you buy each meal on its own. There are meal plans available at the hotel that can save some money if you don't feel like going out much. Inquire early (before you run up too big of an Al le Carte tab).

--> For going out to dinner, do try to get up to the Captain's Table for a dinner. Its within walking distance (a quarter mile or so). Aunt Sha's is just a bit further and is a very local place. The other Brac restaurant that's popular with visitors is "La Esperanza's", also known as Bussy's. Bussy will come down and pick you up to take you to dinner...just remember that things operate on Island Time. FWIW, I don't frequent Edd's Place.

6. Do make sure to get around to see the island. There's sometimes organized bus tours, or you can rent your own wheels...

7. For a scooter, try B&S that's 100yds up the road (halfway to Captain's Table). They also rent cars. Almost next to Captains Table is DDDD's their phone# is 345-948-1599. Expect to pay a bit over $200/week for a car. FWIW, I've been using DDDD's for 10+ years...they'll pick you up at the airport if you're renting for your entire stay, and you can see the infamous (and dead) David Crowhurst's trimaran, the Teignmouth Electron, in the weeds next to DDDD's rental cars:

http://www.teignmouthelectron.org/index.php

(FWIW, I've just found this website...I'll have to email its webmaster and tell them that I have several photo's that I can add to their collection).

--> The museum is worth a visit, as is also some of the caves, the lighthouse up on top of the bluff, the bottom of the bluff at the eastern end of the southside road and for some, a walk in the woods on the Parrot Reserve trail (for this trail, take sturdy shoes, bug repellant, water, and just in case, a compass).

BTW, the Parrot Reserve's trailhead is a bit tricky to find: as you drive out the bluff road, you'll go up a short incline as the road bears left and there will be a small parking area on both sides of the road. Park your car and then walk back down the hill & curve...as you're facing away from your car, its in the first large clearing off to your left.

--> if the trail looks a bit too primative for you, there's a wooden boardwalk that goes off the other side of the road. It goes back perhaps a quarter mile before it runs out of boardwalk. There's often a lot of small birds along this trail if you're patient.

8. Go visit the 'Buc. Ask for instructions on how to find the road for the old "Bucaneer" Hotel on the North side - - its not far from the Airport. Plan to do this on an off-day from diving, as you can see/do two things. The first is to snorkel in the shallows that area (if you're a very strong swimmer, you can go all the way offshore to the #356 Destroyer), as there's a very obvious water access in the cut in the ironshore that's generally good for access. Second, take an hour's walk along the ironshore to the west of the 'Buc, maybe a half mile or so. There's some really neat little lagoons along here, as well as an area with extensive undercuts and sinkholes in the rock that when the waves get it gurgling, is known as "Grandma's Toilet". There's often unexpected stuff along this trail, so keep your eyes open. It ends down at a turnabout shortly after you pass a windlass that was salvaged from a 19th Century US Warship.

Also prices for anything I may want to buy as I need to have an idea about how much extra cash I may want to take with me for the trip :06:

The hotel & diveshop accept credit cards, so you can run tabs for your diving and meals. DDDD's accepts CC's too, as also B&H IIRC. You'll need cash for DM tips, plus generally most meals anyplace other than at the Captain's Table. There is an ATM in the bank around the corner from the Airport's exit.

Hope this helps,

-hh

thanks for all of the information it is very helpful . I already have my diving and a breakfast and dinner food plan booked as part of my stay but I willl check out some of the other places to eat also . how much do beers cost and where is a good place to have a few at the end of the day ? did any one go fishing and how was it ?

The first time we stayed on the mainland. bought our beer at the market and kept it in the refrig. don,t remember how much but cheaper than at the bar. still anything you put in your gut will cost you more than expected. have fun

shiro85:
Beers are around $6 each after you add in the hidden service fees. The best place to go is the bar at the hotel.

There's a local bar up at Aunt Shaw's, but its a long walk and not much cheaper.

Has she opened back up, the restarant got hit during the storm and part of it was destroyed.

Sharon is now open at the top bit - not where the old seaside bar was down below. In my memory, I have never paid $6 (CI or US) (or a bit cheaper) for a beer there.

Back
Top Bottom