Curious Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EzDrifter

Reaction score
I'm completely new to scuba diving. I'm not even certified yet. These past couple of days I've been reading the many informative posts. I keep seeing this post about DIR. I know I've read that there is no stupid question in diving. So here it goes. What exactly is DIR and where can I find information on it so I can be well informed? Thanks.
-Dan

I have no idea what it means either.
Please enlighten us nebies !!! :peace:

Mick

Dan,

It is not that complicated. First off, read between the BS.
For gear you will need (to be "DIR"):

1.Backplate,wing, and one piece harness - the web site on how to rig it is at: http://www.fifthd.com/gear/harness.html

2. canister light - Used because it can become ditchable weight and easier to use than a heavy hand held.

3. Exposure Suit - Wet or Dry. If diving Wet, no Steel tanks. You need to be able to swim your rig up (ditch all weight) in case of wing failuar

4. Regs - Look at Apex, Oceanic, Scuba Pro. I just got some Apex Tx-50s (Sold my Odins) and they breath great, bulletproof

5. Buddy mentaility - When you dive, you are diving as a team and always watch the other guy

6. Standard Gases - Use correct gas mix for depth

7. Stages - No Steel stages. Both stages worn on left side (if carrying two stages)

8. Fins - XL Jets work great. Get a pair of spring straps from Extreme Exposure or make your own (http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/fins/sprstrps.htm)

Go to the web sites and read, check the techdiver mailing list archives and if you have any questions ask.

Eric

Hi Dan,

From a fellow newbie, here's my brief DIR summary,

DIR (or Doing it Right) is a diving philosophy developed by expert cave and wreck penetration divers based on years of experience. In diving environments like these where there is no direct access to the surface if something goes wrong, there is obviously a need to optimize gear configrations and diving techniques to minimize risk. Some of the basic ideas associated with the DIR philosophy are:

- streamline your gear -- this makes you more streamlined underwater, helping to reduce effort required to move through the water
- keep yourself in good physical condition -- a healthy, physically fit diver is less prone to problems underwater
- standardize your gear -- if all divers (or at least all buddy teams) had all of their gear in exactly the same place and set up largely the same way, emergency situations can be handled more effectively
- Breath the long hose -- one gear configuration spec you will hear alot about is the "long hose". DIR principles recommend having a long (5-7 feet) hose for your primary regulator. your back-up is on a shorter hose secured around your neck by a necklace made of surgical tubing, etc. In the event that another diver needs to share your air underwater, you give them your primary reg -- the long hose makes this easier, particularly if the other diver is panicked. You then switch to your back-up reg -- almost impossible to lose, since it is right under your chin on the necklace.

You will find that most basic open water courses (in the US, anyway) probably won't say much, if anything, about DIR. DIR has traditionally been associated with the technical diving community, so it is not taught at the basic open water level. That being said, IMHO there are many aspects of DIR that make sense for basic open water recreational divers. Do some reading at the web sites posted above, but most of all, talk to other divers who are DIR or are trying to migrate towards DIR gear configurations and techniques. As with anything, you will find a wide range of opinions on DIR. Some are militant (either you are 100% DIR or you are a "stroke" -- DIR terminology for an unsafe diver), while others adopt only some of DIR based on their own experience and needs. This is one debate that is useful to understand early on in your diving career, since it may affect the gear you buy. I would recommend that you not rush out and buy all of your gear right away -- when you are in your OW class, it's hard to know what will work for you and what won't. By waiting until you have the class and some post-class dives under your belt, you will begin to understand the types of equipment you want and whether you want to pursue a DIR gear configuration.

Sorry for the big brain dump -- all of these things are still fresh in my mind since I'm a newbie. Hope it helps.

Something was mentioned about swapping regs.

Breath the long hose -- one gear configuration spec you will hear alot about is the "long hose". DIR principles recommend having a long (5-7 feet) hose for your primary regulator. your back-up is on a shorter hose secured around your neck by a necklace made of surgical tubing, etc. In the event that another diver needs to share your air underwater, you give them your primary reg -- the long hose makes this easier, particularly if the other diver is panicked. You then switch to your back-up reg -- almost impossible to lose, since it is right under your chin on the necklace.

Is this a wise move? In this instance, wouldnt there be a period of time where both divers would be without regs?
What happens then if they are seperated in the process of swapping regs ?? Surely it is safer to let the panicked diver use the occy??

Just a curious and safety concious newbie :peace:

Mick

Hi Mick,

I have been lucky not to have experienced a paniced diver out of air, but from the posts of people who have, it becomes appearant to me that you WILL give up your primary regulator and it does not matter if you want to or not. It makes sence that a person who is panicking will grab the first reg he sees, the one in your mouth, the one he knows is working. Based on that, does it not make sence that you, the calm one, to give your primary reg in a controlled manner and use your octo. Then (hopefully) both of you will regain composure and accend safely.

Mick,

It sounds like it will not work (swagging regs), but it is fast and effortless. Most time, a OOA diver will grab you primary anyway.

A few notes about about the backup reg: It should not be a "cheap" regulator. You want something that is going to breath very well at depth (I.e. Tx-40) and the necklace should be short enough to reach down and grad it with your teeth.

Hope this helpe,
Eric

Back
Top Bottom