Current carry-on issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello all,

I am heading to Turneffe Lodge shortly, flying US Air Buffalo>Charlotte>Belize City. The last few times I've flown with a Peli case full of old UW photo gear, I have been getting more and more intense grilling. The security types in Toronto seem to have a special interest in the battery pack in my old Ikelite 150 strobe. Boarding for my most recent trip to Utila, I was almost prevented from taking my gear on the plane with me. This is ancient old gear, (you know, the film kind...) which I have been schepping about for decades.

I haven't flown with this stuff in the past four months, and I am wondering if anyone is finding "real" problems getting this sort of stuff on board. I don't want to check it, but I also don't want to be stopped at security. I am thinking about packing the battery pack in my checked luggage, if for no other reason than it weighs about 5 pounds...

I will be on US Air for the first time. Their website doesn't indicate that there is likely to be any issues, but I'd love to hear from you smart folks...

Thanks!

The problem is inconsistency and lack of reasonable policies! I can fly the same airlines and even different legs and one time no problem and the next a shouting match at the gate! Different airports are the same! US Air have been dicks to me more than once and after standing my ground I got on with what I had to start with! Camera gear and clothes and its the end of the world for some and others never look! So I am not sure there is an answer until the Airlines figure out they are killing their own business!

The problem is inconsistency and lack of reasonable policies!

So you mean it isn't just me? The problem I typically run into in Toronto is that the security personel (who I believe have an additional day of training over the typical mall cop, and generally don't speak English too well) have never seen an underwater camera system. My belief is that if they haven't seen it before, they don't want to let it on.

I suppose the other approach is to insure the H#ll out of it and check it. With a little luck, it will disappear and the insurance can fund the shiney new DSLR housing I can't justify! Well I can, it's Mrs. Stoo that's the problem... :wink:

Thanks for the reply...

I have been doing a lot of airport traveling recently, but since I leave from tropical Hawaii and generally take my camera gear somewhere else tropical, they tend to recognize the stuff. One thing that has expedited my travels is to run my camera through the X-ray separately like they suggest with laptops. If they want to have a look at it, it is right there for them to check out, but at the very least, it means that you recognize the fact that they may be unfamiliar with the device and are giving them a clear look at it. I hope this helps.

Thanks Smells... Typically I do the same. inevitably, they ask me to open the case, and swab it for explosive residue. It's the "visual inspection" that seems to cause the grief...

My biggest concern is that if they won't let me take it, what do I do with it? They don't seem to have lockers at airports anymore, and by the time I'm at security, it's pretty tough to go back to check it...

I guess we'll just giver 'er a try and hope for the best...!

Even if you pack the battery in checked luggage you may have trouble. I tried that with my Nocturnal Lights video lights (metal tubes with battery packs made up of multiple AA sized batteries) and had the checked bag opened by security. I had left the manual with the lights along with a note describing what they were. I found the note in the suitcase upon arrival.

If you carry it on at least you have the ability to explain what the gear is.

After that incident, I put them in my carryon and got lots of questions but they always got through. On the last trip in Feb 2010 I left them at home because of the restrictions on size of carryon bags.

My UW video housing always gets a lot of attention. The electronic controls seem to be the trigger. While I have never run into anyone that knows what it is, I have never had them say I couldn't take it on after I explain what it is and they swab it.

I may be wrong but I think that there is now a recommendation that all batteries not be put in checked luggage.

Have a good trip.

Yes, don't put batteries in checked luggage is the current recommendation:

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

TSA:
Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.

You know lately we have had Zero problems with TSA and our dive gear. :D They run it into the xray machine then turn to us and ask "scuba equipment?" and we say yes and they just keep going. The same goes for my video camcorder housing... I tell them "underwater video housing" as they look at it on the screen, they smile and say... okay, and run it on through. One time the lady asked "can I open your bag and show it to everyone so they know what it looks like? I said sure and we went over to the side and I showed all her co-workers. They were so excited and wanted to know all about underwater video and diving. :D I have found that the more you smile and act friendly, the smoother it goes....

robin:D

You know lately we have had Zero problems with TSA and our dive gear. They run it into the xray machine then turn to us and ask "scuba equipment?" ... I have found that the more you smile and act friendly, the smoother it goes....
robin:D
ditto

robint makes a good point. Most of these people do have minimum training. If it's something they've never seen before, take it out, show them what it's for and how it all works together. It may save a lot of time for the next people that come through with the same type of stuff. Have you ever seen the screen they look at? A lot of our dive equipment with batteries and electronics and computer things look like something that you might not want on a plane. I get stopped and singled out each time because I fly 1 way, single male, not a lot of baggage. I don't get bent, take it with a grain of salt and let them do the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom