Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now almost all of them have natural immunity.

Well that is a fascinating subject, not just there but everywhere. There are a ton of people there that I am sure had it and never got tested or went to a hospital. There is a strong go to hospital and die feeling locally.

I think natural immunity is a thing, but I am not sure if or how it gets tested to see just how good it is. They did prove it longer lasting than they thought recently, but how 'good' is it? IDK.

And then what is the system to 'prove' it? Do they set up testing and hand out antibody cards? IDK.

I think most Gov, MX included will stay with pushing vaccination, as its good for those without it prior infection and not harmful to those that had covid and possible even helpful to long haulers.

And if the vaccination deny the disease enough hosts and crush it to the point no one cares, end of program. I would be surprise we ever get to natural immunity cards.

But I cannot see the island that won't yell at tourists or enforce the 50% in restaurants is gonna start enforcing a vax card check.

. Also the generic version of ClaritinD..

D is probably different, but I took regular Claritin thinking it would help my ears years ago. Then I went to a DAN dive ENT and he said that was exactly the WRONG stuff and did the opposite of what I wanted.

understood, but the test here was easy. its the one i had in czm that sucked!!!
You paid too much. The trailer up on 65th was willing to swab inside my mouth instead of my nose.

D is probably different, but I took regular Claritin thinking it would help my ears years ago. Then I went to a DAN dive ENT and he said that was exactly the WRONG stuff and did the opposite of what I wanted.
I don't know where the misunderstanding is, but Claritin (loratadine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. Claritin is used to treat sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, hives, skin rash, itching, and other cold or allergy symptoms. Claritin is also used to treat skin hives and itching in people with chronic skin reactions. It is certainly a good approach to treating ears stopped up from hay fever.

Pseudoephedrine HCl is the actual decongestant that works, but is illegal in Mexico as it's also used to make meth. The Walact-D I take (previously known as Actifed, original Sudafed) has it and an antihistamine. I've been taking one to four a day as needed for decades now. On a dive trip, one at night, one in the morning, more if needed.

i havent seen anything about september, what do u know?

When the mask mandate for transportation got extended to September (was originally supposed to end in May) there had been talk of ending the testing requirement (for vaccinated individuals) at the same time the mask requirement was set to expire. Now that I posted that, I cannot find the reference to it, of course. Keep in mind that his all happened when people were still eager to get vaccinated and when our officials thought the vast majority would eagerly get out and get the jab. Now that there's been a significant slowdown in the vaccination rate, who knows what will happen.

I just looked it up again and the testing requirement is still officially in effect until the end of 2021. Masking is set to expire (per the CDC website) on September 13, but I bet they'll extend that to the end of the year. The masks are a real problem for me personally, so I would dearly love to see that end. Not that it's all about me, but it's not fun for those of us that have real adverse health/safety issues caused by wearing a mask for extended periods. For me it's either suffer the potential consequences of masking or not travel. I have become pretty adept at using the airplane ventilation to blow air right down my thin mask. At some point this has to end and those that refuse to get vaccinated (again, exempting those that cannot get vaccinated) have to take responsibility for that choice. Obviously this only applies to the US where the vaccines are all readily available and one can just walk in to most any pharmacy and get vaccinated on the spot. Maybe we should be sending our excess vaccine to Mexico. That said, my friend in Akumal said they're having similar issues in Mexico with a large contingent of people refusing to get the shot(s) either due to mistrust of the technology or distrust of what the government is telling the public.

I just want to add that I'm not in favor of forcing people to get vaccinated. I just think that people need to take responsibility for themselves and not expect others to do it for them.

I don't know where the misunderstanding is, but Claritin (loratadine) is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. Claritin is used to treat sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, hives, skin rash, itching, and other cold or allergy symptoms. Claritin is also used to treat skin hives and itching in people with chronic skin reactions. It is certainly a good approach to treating ears stopped up from hay fever.

Pseudoephedrine HCl is the actual decongestant that works, but is illegal in Mexico as it's also used to make meth. The Walact-D I take (previously known as Actifed, original Sudafed) has it and an antihistamine. I've been taking one to four a day as needed for decades now. On a dive trip, one at night, one in the morning, more if needed.

My ears were horrible. I took Claritin. My ears were still horrible. I called DAN and then drove like 4 hours to see their closest ENT.

He said Claritin dries your ears, so instead of have wet gushy stuff that will move, you end up with dry stuff in the old tubes that doesn't move and makes it harder to clear. You don't want a stiffy tube apparently.

He gave me a regimen of:

Take Mucinex for a while before you go.

Spray my nose with Flonase (It was new and prescription back then) starting a week or two early.

Wear my doc's pro plugs

Take Sudafed ever dive day.

That worked. Now I am to the point that I only use the proplugs and the Flonase for a couple days before.

He also said I have a giant set of adenoids on me.....

There seem to be a dozen new covid-related "studies" every week but every one I've seen that addresses this shows recovered immunity to be similarly effective as vaccinated immunity. Requiring the recovered to get vaccinated is not "following the science".

I think it's all about the last point. Proving it.

Yea exactly. I think we will be out of it before they start 'proving' past infections.

But you make another good point, the studies keep coming. I think we will be adjusting our understanding of it for years after it pretty well gone.

But I find it fascinating getting to peek in on the learning in real time. Alot of people can't roll with the changes, but I think its interesting.

And the 'following the science', beyond the political, is interesting. Pick anything. Following the science, COVID has been accepted as airborne as of April. How should Cozumel follow that in restaurant masking? Given that its airborne, masking walking in and out doesn't seem to make much difference when you are going to blow it airborne when you sit down and take it off, right? And planes? Best filtering of a closed space anywhere right? But we mask there, but not in theatre or something that doesn't filter much at all.

And then Coz says mask up everywhere including outside, but like in fonatur its down to what? 20% masked maybe walking around? And Cozumel seems to try to follow the rules but still its falling off.

The sociology is interesting especially across cultures.

A new order was implemented last night - I have translated it below:

Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico - 20 July 2021
Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez has called in the Navy National Guard to help enforce precautions to prevent the state from going into the Red Zone calling it "Safe access and open spaces" Beginning Wednesday, July 21, 2021 all public establishments including hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and stores must require either a proof of vaccination or a negative antigen test within 72 hours prior in order to enter.

The Governor's objective is to avoid contagions in establishments, and continue to promote economic recovery, have safe access and open spaces in hotels, restaurants and boats.

He emphasized that all establishments must meet the following criteria:

• Respect the established capacity.
  • Require proof of vaccination or a negative test of PCR or antigen no longer than 72 hours from all guests at one entry point.
  • Ensure that all staff are vaccinated or have a negative test for COVID-19 every 72 hours.
  • Do not allow customer access after 10:30pm
  • Install air purifying filters in spaces that cannot be naturally ventilated, and use Carbon Dioxide meters to verify air quality.

He also announced that parties and meetings in all establishments, including boats and ferries are not exempt and are subject to the same capacities, sanitary measures, inspections and operations as were established earlier in the pandemic. Those who are caught will be subject to sanctions such as heavy fines, closures and/or revocation of permits and/or licenses.

This is due to a great extent, the fact that compliance with sanitary measures has been relaxed and that too many people no longer take the necessary precautions to break the chain of contagion.

The COVID-19 vaccine does not guarantee immunity, but has been proven to reduce the probability of showing severe symptoms including death in case of infection. If you are vaccinated, you may still contract the virus, and you may still infect others.

That is a stupid joke and a half.

He could have pushed for changes on the ferries many months ago but nope...

So now Mexico is requiring vaccines to come here or take a PCR test every three days to go into Hemingways or a hotel?

What maybe the should do is go back to listing the COVID case numbers since they stopped 4 months ago - the average person here thinks it's finished.

It's busy here, very busy - people everywhere - the crowded ferry line the other night at 9pm was all the way too pizza hut with a large amount of folks not wearing masks...

Back
Top Bottom