Current information for Hopkins Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JellyMan777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning dives on Hopkins Deep in Monterey and I would like to understand the conditions typical at the site. There are plenty of general descriptions all over the internet, but nothing that explicitly states the prevailing current direction, strength, or frequency. I did find brief report somewhere that mentions a possible longshore current (running parallel to the shore), but no other useful information.

So, my questions are as follows:
  • What is the typical direction and strength of the current?
  • Does the current strength wax/wane with wave action (longshore current) or does the strength and direction derive from the movement of water due to tidal action?
  • Is the current stronger on the deeper (northwest) side or the shallower (southeast) side? Is any aspect of the reef shielded (i.e. better to dive in stronger currents)?
  • (Unrelated) Where do boats usually anchor when diving on the reef? I assume in the sand flats around the reef, but what direction?
Any information/help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hopkins Deep is one of the more protected dive site, accessible by boat. The bottom consists of variable reef formations and sand patches. If memory serves, it doesn't get any deeper than 70-75 feet. The few times there, I have not noticed any current although from McAbee to the Breakwater there is usually a current flowing toward the wall.

Most boats anchor at Hopkins when conditions do not permit diving along the outer sites of the bay.

O.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom