Current Key West Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As promised, here's my report from a couple weeks ago.

Vis was great - about 60+ ft. No current. This was actually my first boat dive and my first wreck dive. All I have to say is that it was unreal.

I reserved with Subtropic because they were second cheapest in the area and I was worried about the horrific reviews that Captain's Corner was getting. The morning of diving I missed a call and no one left a message. I called the number back and it turned out to be Subtropic - too many people cancelled the dive so they had to cancel the entire dive. They set me up with Captain's Corner and that was that.

The crew are definitely very chill and I liked them. People who expect a super strict boat will be disappointed. The briefing was very quick and they didn't do anything like run down everyone's name off a checklist at the end of the dive to make sure no one was left behind. I expect this would give some people pause but for all I know they could have done something else to confirm that everyone was safely on the boat.

I dove with a staff member, a divemaster in training that had done 50 or so dives at Vandy. I was not prepared for how short the dives would be - 20 minutes, but mostly due to NDLs. My buddy and I covered a lot of ground and I came up with 1600psi both times while he came up nearly empty both times, lol. I'm really thankful for the tour he gave me since I wasn't going to be diving this site again due to my schedule. At least I saw a lot. I now wish I had more time to properly explore this ship with no time constraints. I must say that I'm now officially a wreck fan. It's just so... unreal.

Still, next time I do this I hope I can get a private boat with no time constraints and some nitrox.

As promised, here's my report from a couple weeks ago.

Vis was great - about 60+ ft. No current. This was actually my first boat dive and my first wreck dive. All I have to say is that it was unreal.

I reserved with Subtropic because they were second cheapest in the area and I was worried about the horrific reviews that Captain's Corner was getting. The morning of diving I missed a call and no one left a message. I called the number back and it turned out to be Subtropic - too many people cancelled the dive so they had to cancel the entire dive. They set me up with Captain's Corner and that was that.

The crew are definitely very chill and I liked them. People who expect a super strict boat will be disappointed. The briefing was very quick and they didn't do anything like run down everyone's name off a checklist at the end of the dive to make sure no one was left behind. I expect this would give some people pause but for all I know they could have done something else to confirm that everyone was safely on the boat.

I dove with a staff member, a divemaster in training that had done 50 or so dives at Vandy. I was not prepared for how short the dives would be - 20 minutes, but mostly due to NDLs. My buddy and I covered a lot of ground and I came up with 1600psi both times while he came up nearly empty both times, lol. I'm really thankful for the tour he gave me since I wasn't going to be diving this site again due to my schedule. At least I saw a lot. I now wish I had more time to properly explore this ship with no time constraints. I must say that I'm now officially a wreck fan. It's just so... unreal.

Still, next time I do this I hope I can get a private boat with no time constraints and some nitrox.

Thanks for the report! Next time join one of our trips with captains corner. We do tech diving, so the boat stays on the vandy for 2.5 hours. You can do as many single tank dives as you can squeeze in.

I wouldnt worry about the crew. The 'chilled' look is deliberate and designed to put you at ease. I can assure you that Lesley wouldnt be in business after 20 odd years if her crew didnt do a proper head count. Its literally game over for any US operator that leaves a diver behind.

Thanks for the report! Next time join one of our trips with captains corner. We do tech diving, so the boat stays on the vandy for 2.5 hours. You can do as many single tank dives as you can squeeze in.

I wouldnt worry about the crew. The 'chilled' look is deliberate and designed to put you at ease. I can assure you that Lesley wouldnt be in business after 20 odd years if her crew didnt do a proper head count. Its literally game over for any US operator that leaves a diver behind.

Lesly rocks!!! She always has room for "one more" in a pinch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom