Current strength, south shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious if anyone knows of any weather type webpages that give some information on the general strength of currents around Oahu's coast. We're planning some shore dives off the south shore as SNN shows it's mostly flat (0-1.5ft w/ 2ft face) for most of the week. I've read a little bit about the "Molokai express" and was curious if there are any sites on the internet to get the approx. speed of currents.

Right now it's looking like we may go to Hanauma Bay and we can avoid the current issue as long as we remain inside the bay, however I'd like to learn more about the "Molokai Express" so I can be aware of where it runs and possibly find out it's strength when so I can account for that when planning dives.

Any help appreciated :)

Edit: Was reading some on ocean currents, guess several factors cause them but primarily the wind in the tropics .. so I guess it's fairly safe to say when the wind is weak so is the current and vice versa. Not referring to the rip currents where seawater drains back out between a narrow outlet, was curious about larger currents.

Last edited:
Awesome, lots of great info there.

If you dive Blowhole, it is a nonissue unless you venture way offshore. There can be a surface current that goes toward Sandy's. But if you plan your dive well you can avoid it and if the trades are down so is the current usually. Basically if you see all white water at the entrance of the cove to cockroach beach I wouldn't dive Blowhole. At Lanai the current can kick up some off the point but it is offshore a ways also. As long as you stay close to the wall you will be fine. If you see waves crashing over the entrance or lots of surge at the exit I would not dive Lanai.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom