Current Visibility Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Sequim Bay State Park and found some very nice snorkeling. Vis I'd say around 10' or so. Saw 1000's of snails, some of these things that look like a big pill bug (sowbug) had a hard segmented shell on it about 3 to 5 inches long, some huge barnicles, and these orange little tree looking things that could suck that tree looking thing right inside of itself they where in water starting at about 10' lots of hugh rocks to swim around all and all a great place to snorkel.

I'm diving Edmonds and Mukilteo today and might head to Whidbey this evening. I'll post conditions and vis reports.

Just wondering if anyone is seeing any really bad visibility or any outstanding viz? If so, where? NW Diver's latest reports were from February 2006.

Dave

Viz Wednesday night at Cove 2 was pretty poor -- the best may have been 10', the worst was probably three. I'm hearing that's the flip side of the great tides we have right now -- small exchanges don't flush out the debris in the water.

TSandM:
Viz Wednesday night at Cove 2 was pretty poor -- the best may have been 10', the worst was probably three. I'm hearing that's the flip side of the great tides we have right now -- small exchanges don't flush out the debris in the water.
Small exchanges? We had a 10-foot ebb followed by a 12-foot flood on Wednesday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oops, guess I was thinking about this weekend . . . so anybody got a good reason why we couldn't see our hands in front of our faces Wednesday night? Warm weather algae bloom ALREADY?

That was BAD vis? I guess I haven't been diving in the sound enough to get a good grasp of what's good and what's bad, but I think it's been about like that most times i've been out, and much worse on occasion. Now I'm looking forward to gettign out on a day with "Good" vis.

Oh yeah, and the 3 foot vis by the honeybear was probably my fault.

TSandM:
Oops, guess I was thinking about this weekend . . . so anybody got a good reason why we couldn't see our hands in front of our faces Wednesday night? Warm weather algae bloom ALREADY?
A confluence of events ...

1. large tidal exchange (stirs up the "floaties")
2. halocline (only affected the top 15 feet or so)
3. the start of plankton bloom season (the water's warming)
4. a bunch of new divers in the water (ours and others)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, the viz in Cove 2 this afternoon was MUCH better than Wednesday. At all times, we could see our hands in front of our faces. In fact, there were areas (deeper) where we probably had 15 or 20 feet of viz. Shallower was not as good. What was really fun was that the fish are coming back in numbers now -- I even saw a female kelp greenling today, something I can't ever remember seeing in Cove 2. Several kinds of rockfish, a couple of kinds of perch, and a bunch of painted greenlings, including the one I inconsiderately sat on while making another vain attempt at a valve drill.

We're sliding into our standard warm-weather pattern ... Redondo last night was murky above about 35 fsw, and crystal-clear below that. There were also abundant nudibranchs, gunnels, and other wonderful photo ops all over the place. But I was teaching an AOW student, and don't bring a camera on those dives ... so I had to content myself with pointing them out to my student.

A wonderful dive ... 56 minutes to a max depth of 79 fsw.

I did test for phosphorescence ... but not yet ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom