Currents in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know when the current in Cozumel are slower than normal. When are the strongest currents?

Thanks,
Thom
Hi Thom. Currents vary from site to site and hour by hour. I have found currents to be very erratic in March but I am sure others can point to nearly any other month.

Feb, Mar, April tend to be the crazy months. All others its hit or miss and seldom wicked. As Marg said, you may find high current in one spot and a mile away nothing. But I don't recall vary many dangerous conditions in my 25 years. Also, I know of no one ever "carried away" or hurt…some scared!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Does anyone know when the current in Cozumel are slower than normal. When are the strongest currents?

Thanks,
Thom
The currents at Cozumel are very variable - day to day, hour to hour, even location to location at the same time. I do not believe there is much of a pattern month to month that you can use to reliably predict what they will be at any point in the future. I usually go in May and I have seen it all from no flow at all to near blizzard conditions from entrained sand. I certainly wouldn't let anticipated currents be a factor in my vacation planning because I just can't know.

That said, you may get some anecdotal responses but I would take them for what they are (or are not) worth.

Currents the last week were mild. Fastest one of the week was 1 knot maybe 1.5. Even at their strongest, they are no worry.

Trust me, Gordon, Early spring sees much more in the way of crazy currents.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

This last few days of March and the first few days of April were beyond nuts on Cedral Wall and Santa Rosa, among others.

Last edited:
March has been the strangest for me, of my July/December/March experience over several years. As others have stated, it changes constantly, and is rarely scary. My first ocean dives were drift dives in Coz, and I adapted quickly, Don't sweat it :)

Back
Top Bottom