Currents in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eisenhauer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're booked on a live-aboard next October 2018 for our first dives in Maldives. We dive about once a year and have around 300 dives logged. We're learned in northern Cozumel and Raja Ampat (both terrific dive spots) that we are not fans of current diving, although no problem with most drift dives. Does anyone know if these areas--Raa, Baa, Rasdhu, Ari Atol around and up to Male--are known for high currents?

Also, it's been recommended to bring gloves to hold onto rocks, and a reef hook. So obviously, currents are expected, but we dont know to what extent. Also, we've been 'trained' not to use gloves any longer, and to keep ones hands off, even if it is rocks. Many people can mistake coral or grab on in desperation. Are gloves considered OK in some regions, where others it's completely hands off!!?? I'm confused. Thanks.

I did the central atolls two months ago. Gloves are allowed but many divers did not wear gloves. I didn't. Reef hooks not required on every dive although there may be one or two dives where you may wish to hook in to watch the pelagics in the current. My impression was that the DMs timed and selected sites to avoid the strongest currents.

On two Maldives trips we only used the reef hooks in a couple of places on each trip where it allowed us to hold the edge of a drop offs, so we could watch pelagics.
We never were in places we could do any damage to live coral.

Other than those times currents were not really a concern, though, as CWK above noted, it seemed obvious that the crew on our live aboard picked sites to avoid serious problems with current.

There were a few dives we did in the northern atolls that required a hook, and it was kinda like being a kite in the current - super fun (at least to me). A few times we planned to drop to a cleaning station and had to dig and fight our way to it against a strong current that picked up significantly while we were already on our way. We used pokers to help.

Most dives had a gentle current at most, and aside from a couple times where the current picked up unexpectedly, we were briefed to expect current when at a site that they knew would have it.

I kept my reef hook and poker stick with me every dive, and even with a DSLR rig, it was not a big deal. Reef hook in pouch attached to strobe arm and poker in my hand or clipped to a d-ring.

Thanks James. I think this is something we can handle then.
j

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom