Curvy in Kuwait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saucy Sailoress

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey there

I'm Kate, I've been diving 14 years, and am now semi-retired. I'm an IT for SDI & TDI, and gave up ratings for PADI & BSAC. I still teach a bit, but mostly just instructor and technical courses. Used to have a centre - you know 5* ratings, eqpt sales, tons of trips and training - busy busy. A school teaching career and a bad accident last year (non-diving) put me out of action for a while. There are plenty of SDI instructors and centres here now, so I refer most of the enquires I get - which aren't many since I disconnected the phone!

Planning to sail off around the world next year, and pick up a bit of cash teaching diving (and sailing, and TEFL, and mainstream school) as we hop from port to port.... Let's see how it goes!

Well, to cut long story short, our shop went into hibernation 3 years ago while the landlords (a govt management company who run marinas and leisure centres) had to get some licensing issues sorted. They're still not sorted. Our friends with 'wasta' can't get things sorted. They think it's 'cos other folks with bigger 'wasta' didn't like us having the best dive centre in Kuwait. Not our fault, it was just a great premises in a great location with great instructors, and great berths. So we've given up on it. Our deposit is still in there, so who knows what will happen, but we've lost interest.

On the bright side, our instructors have finally flown the nest, and set up their own centres. Two so far have registered with SDI. One more in the pipeline. ANd we are preparing to sail out, so our yacht is now (I believe) registered as Dive Caroline so we can teach diving as we circumnavigate. I need to get a website made - I've just started doing a Masters degree in Online Education, so should be a doddle!

On the personal note, I came off a horse last year and landed in ICU. 6 weeks in bed then, and a few months later they had to remove a kidney... I'm now taking time out of teaching school, but word has gotten around, and now people are expecting me to run dive courses now I have time on my hands!! It's rather nice, actually - I didn't do much this year on account of being shattered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom